Dirty system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a dirty system in a house i rent out. The water was black when i bought it in 2016 and i think the woman owner never bothered with any inhibitor.

I fitted a new visseman and did a basic clean on the system and fitted a screwfix magnetic filter (similar to adey).

Over the last four years i have run the system with a cleaner added again and this time for 2 weeks. I have added inhibitor most years on service and i try and clean the filter out twice per year.

I have been today and again the filter has a load of metal on it. I am used to seeing these filters and most have a little black on them when i clean them out. This is the only filter which is always dirty.

How come this system is so dirty ? I thought over time the magnet would pull out all the rubbish.

The system works well and the boiler is good apart from one issue. It looses pressure slowly all the time, but it still runs when the dial is at zero. It was like this today and the HW was fine. So i topped up a tiny bit and the needle jumped very quickly to 1.5 bar.

Could these two issues be related ?

The vessel was charged last year on service so i dont think it is this issue still.

Would a leak sealer be of help ?

The system is plastic hep2 15mm

Sponsored Links
In reality as this is not your system you shouldn't be messing with it nor spending your own money on it , it is your landlady/landlords responsibility to sort out any issues with it.

It does however sound like you have a minor leak , pressure loss on the heating side will not affect the HW side at all either

When you run cleaner through do you drain the system then refill with inhibitor afterwards?

Have you ever taken the rads off and given them a good flush with the hosepipe?

I thought over time the magnet would pull out all the rubbish.
Don't believe the hype.Most of the crud just sits in your rads and pipes and is never circulated through the filter...And not all the crud is magnetic either.

Sponsored Links
In reality as this is not your system you shouldn't be messing with it nor spending your own money on it , it is your landlady/landlords responsibility to sort out any issues with it.

It does however sound like you have a minor leak , pressure loss on the heating side will not affect the HW side at all either

When you run cleaner through do you drain the system then refill with inhibitor afterwards?

Have you ever taken the rads off and given them a good flush with the hosepipe?

I rent it out meaning it’s my house.

when I’ve done the cleaner I drain down and refill with inhibitor

never taken the rads off this house. Done it before. I might give it a go.

I suppose if the filters don’t work that well the alternative is to power flush.

Do you get a better job then taking off the rads and flushing individually

I rent it out meaning it’s my house.

when I’ve done the cleaner I drain down and refill with inhibitor

never taken the rads off this house. Done it before. I might give it a go.

I suppose if the filters don’t work that well the alternative is to power flush.

Do you get a better job then taking off the roads and flushing individually

Ah ok , read it wrong!

Taking the rads off and flushing them is free compared to a powerflush

Did you say the system was plumbed in plastic?

If it's old plastic then that may well be your issue - old type non-barrier pipe allows oxygen to leach into the system through the walls of the pipe, causing ongoing corrosion. The only solution in this instance is to repipe the entire system

It is the greyish/blue colour which i think is Hep2 stuff.

Not sure how old it is, but the boiler in there in 2016 was dead and was a really old worcester. So maybe all installed in 2000.

Does this oxygen leaching give any issues with loosing pressure ?

IS speed fit pipe ok to use. I have used that since 2013 when doing up houses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back