Magnetic debris clogging boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Saunier Duval thema condens F30e fitted and it sporadically cloggs with black magnetic debris. The debris always collects in the heat exchanger plate ( the rectangular radiator type thingy at the rear of the boiler on the left hand side on the dirty water orifice). The debris itself sometimes forms into small diameter profile pieces (as if the debris forms around the outside of a small bore pipe)
I have had the system powerflushed and have a Adey magnetic twintech filter fitted between the last rad and the boiler. The rads are all new aslo. Somehow the filter doesn't pick up the majority of the debris which doesn't make sense? On the upside to this problem i have become very good at stripping the boiler apart and cleaning it out.

Can anybody help?

Sponsored Links
It has been proposed by some that disturbance of old hardened magnetight formed on the walls of pipes causes this phenomenon.

As for filters trapping all debris first pass. i never expect that of them. That doesn't make them a waste of money things would be a lot worse without them.

looks like you have to persevere now until the debris is all out or all trapped.

A knowing installer would have fitted a gauze filter washer to the output of the Magnaclean.

It will then stop both magnetic and non magnetic debris. I am surprised that Chris Adey does not include these within his kit.

As well as mechanical power flushing, chemicals should have been used to dissolve the oxide debris.

I would do this within the boiler only, after fitting the filter.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Take out the rubber hose and wash it out, probably loads of muck in there. Could still be debris in the main heat exchanger aswell, was this also flushed?

If there is so much debris going through the magnaclean that it blocks the hex, it has not been powerflushed properly. end off.
I would also check that the filter has been put in the most effective place; as close as possible to the boiler RETURN inlet, at least so close that there are not tees between the filter and the boiler.

The filter is placed next to the boiler and the system was powerflushed a while a go. The larger pieces of debris have the shape akin to the outside radius of a small bore pipe so i guess that rules out debris from the inside of the standard 15mm copper pipes. I have the feeling the debris is forming within the boiler somewhere as the magnaclean doesn't pick it up.

The larger pieces of debris have the shape akin to the outside radius of a small bore pipe so i guess that rules out debris from the inside of the standard 15mm copper pipes.

I have the feeling the debris is forming within the boiler somewhere as the magnaclean doesn't pick it up.

I dont know what you consider a "small bore pipe" size to be but you should specify if you want us to know what you are saying.

I dont think your "feelings" are significant as all professionals know that a Magnaclean will not stop all debris unless the gauze filter is fitted.

If only the heating system was power flushed then there could be considerable dirt left inside the boiler. Power flushing is only as effective as the skill of the operator and most dont use the best chemicals ( some dont use any! ). Few know how to flush out the boiler either!

Tony

If anything, However small is getting past the "TwinTech" It is not fitted in the right place or faulty.

Get it checked out by the installer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back