Viessman boiler kettling after 2 years trouble free service

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning peeps.

Bear with me.............this is a 2 parter !!!!

Nearly 2 years to the day my newly installed Viessman 100W boiler has started kettling and will not behave.
Bit of background on the system. I installed it on an open vent system, changing from Y-plan to S-plan, added a small UFH system to it, fitted a maganclean, fitted an ABV, autmoatic vent, TRV's (not to all rads) and flushed the system out prior to commisioning. The system and boiler has been working great in its 2 years.....................

Then just before Xmas was woken by the sound of trickling water when the boiler fired from up from cold early in the morning (boiler is directly below the bedroom). Quick check over and nowt leaking. Spoke to plumber mate of mine who said check the header tank as it might be dry/frozen/full of crap. All ok there.

Anyway few more weeks of this and the diagnosis appears to kettling. Even had the Viessmann engineer check it out and his conclusion was the same. Just cannot bottom out how this is occuring???

Have been fiddling with various aspects of the system, pump speeds (set at 2, normally), UFH settings (separate recic-pump), ABV settings (was set at 2), draining, bleeded, dosing with X200, even 5 hrs powerflushing last weekend (water was fairly clean, not too dirty), cleaned header tank out (bit of debris in this), but still the problem persists...

The boiler is at its worst from cold, no matter what part of the system is calling for heat? Usually more noticeable in the morning as the UFH is first out of the blocks and I'm in bed!!!!. During the day it settles down and is quite happy and purrs along like a kitten. I have taken to turning the boiler stat down a notch or two which does help with the noise. All indications are it is a flow problem, as the flow/return at the boiler is quite obvioulsy greater than 8-10deg??

So..........any suggestions??

My next plan of action is to tee into the pipework driectly at the boiler and try and flush it at source?? I'm thinking it may have some debris / air lodged at the heatexchanger. The design has a spiral wound horizontal heat exchanger which I've googled and could possibly be air trapped in the top of the coils???
I also have a new recirc pump ready to go into the system (got a 15/50 at present with an Alpha 2 15/60 to swap over in its place) How can you tell if a pump is on its way out??? Its been in there for 15years and sounds as good as the day it was put in. The rads warm up fine and theres' plenty of hot water
My plumber mate has also suggested re-postioning the Magnaclean as at present it is in the CH circuit (where I would assume most of the magnetic particles would be generated???) He's suggested postioning it directly on the return??

As I said when its all warmed up and running, all is well and the system is smooth.

Righto, fast forward a few weeks and now I'm here...............

Righto I'm back......update on the kettling !!!

I have since, completely flushed the system again. Cut into the flow/return direct at the boiler and flushed it there. Flushed the entire CH system, then flushed every radiator induvidually, then the entire CH system again for good measure. Flushed the floor circuit, flushed the DHW circuit.
All in all the floor and DHW was fairly clean, the CH circuit was a bit cloudy, but nothing too bad.
I've changed the pump to a Alpha 2, taken the Honeywell ABV apart and checked it, and its all ok. Repositioned the Magnaclean to protect the whole system.
Stripped the old 15/50 pump down for curiosity and its looked fine.
At the moment the kettling still persists. I've been fiddling with various settings on the ABV, and the Alpha pump but am chasing my tail.
I've been looking at the setting procedure for the ABV and the Alpha 2 and the various charts are great if you are working in a laboratory, but how you calculate the various flow rates, pump heads etc etc on a live system is beyond me !!!!

The boiler itself is working great and will behave all day long when the firing is low, it will tick along at 70-75deg without a whisper, soon as the thing ramps up from 1-5bars (especially from cold) on the burner scale she's kettling again. 200L/H is the min flowrate required, but how you test that at the boiler just using temp is a new one on me !!!!

My next port of call is the return and flow temp sensors in the boiler. I might even ditch the ABV as I cannot rememeber why I put it in there in the first place ?????...........The boiler has pump over run, there are a few rads in the CH system without TRV's, the UFH has TRV on the blender but I've got an additional rad on that circuit which should get rid of the heat..........

Input greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
You seem to be doing so many things but dont necessarily do it correctly.

For example an ABV is required and you want to remove it.

You have a viess engineer but dont do or say when he recommends!

You say so much about flushing but dont say how you have done it or what chemicals you have used!

Tony

Try opening the ABV fully, which may show if it's a flow problem. These need the flow to clear the air they tend to trap.
Was there any sludge in there - could (still) be blocking the pump?
Also do you have the right (I think it's 2 metres ) static head? More is better.

If your system's producing air ( or corrosion gas) then it seems to collect in these heat exchangers more than some others.
Some had a tap or some such on the hex flow pipe, (some had a stat to stop dry firing I think.)

They want these installed with the pump before the f/e, which I don't think helps with air pockets in the boiler.

Not entirely surprised your Viessmann engineer didn't fix it. Ask two, and get three opinions..

I've seen them done like that and a Viessmann engineer say it was not wrong. If I remember right he showed me a manual.
A little while ago so there's room for error on my part.
I suspect it depends which manual you look in.

Sponsored Links
I have a 100 WB1A, and in winter, it sometimes made a tinkling/kettling noise when it was firing at full power. I have an Alpha pump which tends to run at the lowest flow it considers necessary. The system is very clean and I think free of scale or dirt.

I found that by turning the pump to max power for a day, it cleared the noise. I reckon it would have been air bubbles collecting at the top of the coils, and the modest pump flow was not pushing them out.

This is from a Viessmann Vitodens 100 open vent boiler installation manual.
View media item 56708
So, pretty dumb, nothing new there.
They have a history of printing stuff in one set of literature then retract when it's pointed out as silly.
Hardly surprising their own engineers get it wrong.

Ask two, and get three opinions..

You seem to be doing so many things but dont necessarily do it correctly.

For example an ABV is required and you want to remove it.

You have a viess engineer but dont do or say when he recommends!

You say so much about flushing but dont say how you have done it or what chemicals you have used!

Tony
cheers,

viess engineer just said it was a flow problem, but offered no suggestions as to what may be its cause. to quote on his check sheet " bolier confirmed kettling, customer advised flow problem"

spoke with viess technical who suggested it may be trapped air???...........so i have spent most of the day trying to remove any entrapped air from the system. I have installed a filling loop from the cold mains to try and force the air out, the cold fill from the header tank was piped into the flow, its now connected to the return (on advice)

the system has been flushed once with a fernox power flushing unit, by a pro plumber with the appropriate chemicals. i have since flushed it again, myself with the same equipment

just wanted to remove the ABV to elimate 1 variable as part of the fault finding process, as for doing it correctly, i take advice, from a number of sources including proffesionals before tearing into anything blindly....

thanks for the input

Quote from Mod:
"we have had a message from a person describing himself as Technical Advisor, Viessmann

who says "Viessmann do not expect the F & E to be after the pump, that is quite wrong."

When you say "I installed it" do you mean it was a DIY install?"............

Strange onethat, as I rang Viess tech this morning and the guy said he'd been reading about the problems on the net somewhere. He suggested it may be entrapped air, so i have along, with 2 x pro plumbers who I have full confidence in, been racking our brains on it today......

This was installed by myself, indeed a DIY'er, but after mountain of research and advice. The system was commisioned by a pro, gas safe and all that. The system feeding the new boiler was not modified in anyway prior to its installation from the old boiler it replaced, apart from the installation of a ABV, and the addition of a UFH loop fed off an added zone valve.
The only mod to the F/E system was today when the cold feed was swapped from the flow to the return. Plus I added a filling loop to try and force any air out....

read my post.

also, introducing fresh water through the loop will contain dissolved air, and will also set up another round of radiator corrosion and gas.

read my post.

also, introducing fresh water through the loop will contain dissolved air, and will also set up another round of radiator corrosion.

cheers john, will do. i'll give it a go. its/i've had an outing the last day or two so i'll let it settle down and see how it goes.

its definately worse on full fire, and the tech guy suggested there may be 15 little airpockets in the coil......

just a bit puzzling, and a question which i've been asking myself is why after 2 years, fully maintained / treated system, magnaclean etc etc its starts playing up???

thanks for the input

we have had a message from a person describing himself as Technical Advisor, Viessmann

who says "Viessmann do not expect the F & E to be after the pump, that is quite wrong."

When you say "I installed it" do you mean it was a DIY install?

That will have been he who used to post here as Mystery Man and has not been seen since last November! Presumably following intervention from this site!

The Viessmann diagram which Chris has posted seems totally wrong according to established practice in the heating industry.

But now the OP has made it even worst by moving the cold feed to the return side of the boiler and seriously risking pump over.

It seems to be going from worst to worse! Not being helped by posting his problems on multiple advice sites!

Tony

I love how the MM is still getting involved on this site even though his boss has told him not too :LOL: That image from a viesmann manual by Chris is typical of Viessmanns totally chaotic and disastrous entry into the Uk, fair enough they don't do vented in Germany, but they could of asked a 1st year apprentice for a diagram of F&V connections.
Personally I think either a) your pipework is wrong or b) the boiler is full of sh1te. Had a couple of Viessmanns with clogged Hex on dirty systems and have cleaned through really well if done properly.
the fact it was working ok for a period of time would suggest either b) or a partial blockage somewhere, usually around the F&V connections.
Also I would advise against using the alpha pump they are nothing but trouble with high resistance heat exchangers.

I agree with mickyg, the viessmann heat ex-changer acts like a string and sheds crud off the heat ex-changer as it heats and cools...sadly it just clogs up:

have totally gone off viessmanns for poor service and crap manuals

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back