Position for an automatic bypass valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a vented oil fired heating system fitted with Grundfos dual headed circulating pumps and Grundfos pump plan wiring centre. There are no motorized valves in the system. I have just fitted TRV's to all the radiators and am going to fit an ABV between the CH flow and CH return. Does this have to be put immediately after the pump or can it be put in farther from the pump? It would be much easier for me to fit it between the flow and return pipes feeding the rad in our spare bedroom .

Sponsored Links
Yes it can go further from the pump, but unless there'a a boiler overrun keeping that particular pump running, it may not do much good.

If you have TRVs on all rads now then yes, the ABV is a good idea (overrun or not)

Doesnt need to be right after the pump, infact the further away the better, as long as theres no way of it being isolated under normal operation

Justin, thanks for your reply.

CH pump is controlled by the times set by the programmer so the pump runs even when the boiler is is not due to temperature cut out. I want to fit an ABV to prevent the pump getting damaged

Sponsored Links
But does the boiler need a bypass/overrun arrangement?
Certainly if you have no permanently open rad valves then the pump has nowhere to pump to, but that's going to damage the boiler (if it needs to lose heat) before the pump.
If the programmer turns the pump and boiler off together then the boiler still sits there cooking, like a car brewing itself up in a motorway service car park.

Do I take it you are saying I should fit an ABV and wire up the pumps to ensure an overrun? (open vented oil fired system)

You need the ABV regardless as you have now fitted TRV's To All Rads. When the house is warm on occassion it will be entirely possible for all the valves to clows at the same time, so the boiler will be firing with no where to pump heat to. The ABV will correct this and also protect the pump.

Whether the boiler needs the pumps to have an OverRun after heat demand will be entirely down to the instructions for the boiler. It was very common for older cast Iron units to not need such an overrun.

The boiler is a Warmflow U90 standard efficiency boiler. As it is a non-combi boiler I didn't think it needed an overrun facility?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back