disabling a light fixture...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leaky chimney with a void in the side where a fixture was fitted for an outside light. The fixture is connected to the kitchen circuit and is getting very hot, which has turned on the outside light which now cannot be turned off. I have taken the bulb out for now, but the switch is still obviously active. I am trying to figure out if there is a fire risk to leaving the switch alone or if I could find a way to disable the fixture without turning off the circuit for the entire kitchen. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Some investigation to how the circuit is configured and at what point the supply to the outside light is taken.
So would be difficult to say exactly where to disconnect, but first places to look are at a nearby light fitting or switch as it could be looped in at either or both fitting and switch, then it would be looking within the ceiling void for junction boxes.
you would require some test equipment to identify this part of the circuit and hopefully disconnecting it does not loss power elsewhere.

The fixture is connected to the kitchen circuit and is getting very hot,
Very hot because of an electrical fault? Because the lamp is too bright? Because of the fire?

What relevance is the leaky stack?

I am trying to figure out if there is a fire risk to leaving the switch alone
Possibly - it depends why the cable and/or light fitting melted in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back