Disappearing MS Office and Firefox

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been doing battle with my laptop, over it's apparent slow reboot. It's a SSD + HDD combined system, and the problem seemed to begin when I introduced a wrong driver for the SSD drive. I ran a restore, all seemed fine, but still the wrong driver persisted, then MS Office and Firefox seemed to disappear from my system. Another restore using the same restore point and they were still absent.

This morning, I bit the bullet and reinstalled both after downloading fresh copies. Strangely, both picked up exactly where they had left off - emails there in Outlook and intact, etc... Firefox opened, with the same pages open from when it was last used.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like some of the registry entries for those applications were broken/missing, although the files were fine. Reinstalling fixed the registry entries.

I've been doing battle with my laptop, over it's apparent slow reboot. It's a SSD + HDD combined system, and the problem seemed to begin when I introduced a wrong driver for the SSD drive. I ran a restore, all seemed fine, but still the wrong driver persisted, then MS Office and Firefox seemed to disappear from my system. Another restore using the same restore point and they were still absent.

This morning, I bit the bullet and reinstalled both after downloading fresh copies. Strangely, both picked up exactly where they had left off - emails there in Outlook and intact, etc... Firefox opened, with the same pages open from when it was last used.
drives don't need drivers as they are handled by bios. Windows takes forever to boot as you know but that's what you live with if you choose to use it (my linux laptop boots in 15 seconds as its old and the desktop is a 4 second boot time)

drives don't need drivers as they are handled by bios.

Thanks, I didn't know that. My SSD/HDD laptop seemed to boot up extremely quickly when I first bought it, so I assumed its recent slowness was due to it perhaps not making proper use of the SSD. Plus, I noticed it's original driver had been changed to one by the name of 'mempak' in device manager. All working again now, but still sluggish compared to how I remember.

Windows takes forever to boot as you know but that's what you live with if you choose to use it (my linux laptop boots in 15 seconds as its old and the desktop is a 4 second boot time)

As you might have read, I recently upgraded my old Acer, swapping the HDD for a SSD - that does now boot in similar times to those you mention above. My old laptop is now my fast laptop, I only wish I had followed the advice to swap to SSD sooner.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I didn't know that. My SSD/HDD laptop seemed to boot up extremely quickly when I first bought it, so I assumed its recent slowness was due to it perhaps not making proper use of the SSD. Plus, I noticed it's original driver had been changed to one by the name of 'mempak' in device manager. All working again now, but still sluggish compared to how I remember.

As you might have read, I recently upgraded my old Acer, swapping the HDD for a SSD - that does now boot in similar times to those you mention above. My old laptop is now my fast laptop, I only wish I had followed the advice to swap to SSD sooner.
SSD is faster access to data but the boot sequence is limited to windows running all kinds of spyware and malware at boot so that is always the issue. It will soon become bloated and filled with spyware as is the raison d'être of MS

Easy on the misinfo there.. My Win10 laptops still have sub 10 second boot times some 5 years on from purchase and they now have a lot of stuff installed

Easy on the misinfo there.. My Win10 laptops still have sub 10 second boot times some 5 years on from purchase and they now have a lot of stuff installed
can you post a clip of that happening in real time please? Then show in the applications that were started at boot to show multiple threads. Then I'll call Guinness to verify your world record

Sponsored Links
Back