Disappointing tourist attractions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the three that you consider the biggest disappointment?

My three are:

Nottingham Castle. It's not a castle (that burned down) it's a nineteenth century manor house full of pretty much nothing really.

Copenhagen - The little Mermaid. Just a small concrete statue in the shallow water behind a park.

London. The Tate Modern. How much did they pay for those stacked house-bricks and a video of a man wobbling his willy around? Very disappointing.

What are your three?

joe

Sponsored Links
The pyramids, they are well overdue for modernisation.

Machu Pichu, no bl**dy electrics in sight. No wonder the Indians moved out, how the hell would they be able to pick up sky tv.

The Great Wall of China. Monumental feat of engineering, so we are told. Not in my book. 3000 miles of nothing but wall, and the Ming dynasty weren't even considerate enough to add in the odd KFC.

Bamburgh Castle is fairly rubbish too - Its just a posh person's house where they let you in to see some pictures of Young Lady Emily in the Gymkhana.

The pyramids certainly aren't as isolated as you are led to believe.

IMHO, the Eiffel Tower, Arc De Triomphe and the Hoover Dam are the only things I've seen which are as impressive in real life as the pictures make them look.

Sponsored Links
Taj Mahal............shimmering in the early morning sun - magnificent!!

Nige F said:
Brighton, :mad:
OY!!!

Although it must be said, in terms of tourist attractions we now only have the Royal Pavilion and the burnt-out West Pier.

But on the positive side, we have over 600 pubs (I'm on a mission to have a pint in every one of them before I'm 30, but have still only managed just over 100 so far), and a beach on which you can sunbathe without getting sand in your shoes!

I must admit to being a little disappointed with the pyramids of Giza. The inside of the burial chamber was very plain and it looked like modern materials had been used on the structure particularly the ceiling it felt just like being on a building site rather than inside an ancient monument.
They were also much smaller than i imagined but this may be the lack of external reference, the Sphinx was impressive though.

A lot of the theme parks here seem an anti climax once you have visited the ones in Florida and compare prices.

one thing i find annoying with the theme parks are the short visiting times which i'm sure are designed to make you have to pay a second time to visit the rides etc you didn't mange to before.

has anyone seen the Terracotta Army in china? whats that like then? and hows about that inca city Machu Picchu I think? any of you seen it? I'd like to see these places, Sydney harbour and the opera house was all I expected it to be as was/is Uluru (Ayers Rock) but the Twelve Apostles and the Great Ocean Road was disappointing.

The whaling wall. Didn't see a single large aquatic mammal there.

Sponsored Links
Back