Disaster preparing painted walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im decorating my bedroom for the second time since i moved in.

Some parts of the wall have blistered, i think this was damp as the house was left empty for a few years beforehand. I have scraped this off no problem but now on the other walls, where im filling using a lightweight filler, the paint is coming off. it goes soft and peels away from the old paint underneath.

I think that if i paint tomorrow using water based paint, it will bubble and ruin the finish. should i be sealing the existing surface beforehand? and what with?

Sponsored Links
What filler? onetime?
I prefer polyfilla (interior).. Sometimes the substrate becomes friable when filler is applied to crack.. might try priming the area to fill with either solvent undercoat (thinned with white spirit) or some zinsser 123. (waterbased) Apply filler let dry then prime filler with dilute emusion then try a coat on 1 wall first.

good luck..

Sponsored Links
its polyfilla one fill, i have just put some unibond on the wall and the old paint is bubbling up.

might have to skim it. might give lining paper a go first.

turning into a mammoth job now :(

i have put lining paper on it now, 1700gsm, well started it anyway. looks like ill get a good finish with it when its all painted.

thanks for the help :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back