Disasters waiting to happen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Years ago people bricked up inglenook fireplaces. They also nailed hardboard over the top of solid wood panelled doors and similarly interred perfectly attractive balustrades. They stuck woodchip on every bedroom wall and swirly artex on every other flat surface horizontal or vertical. They painted woodwork in the sixties and laboriously stripped it back in the eighties and nineties. uPVC replaced sash windows and years later we started putting the sashes back in. Gawd only knows what we'll eventually do with all that stone cladding and block paving is already starting to look old and tired.

My predictions for the next round of style culls:
- Halogen downlights
- Laminate flooring
- Decking

Any advances?

Sponsored Links
i am at home, i am actually typing this in my sleep ( i have a braile monitor);)

Sponsored Links
MDF radiator covers.
beige.
Stupid bits of twig in mock fireplaces put in by TV Makeover shows.
TV Makeover shows.

tv garden shows,
uktv
uktv+
all satelite channels

ever wondered why on uktv, you do not see itv programmes? its because its owned by the "corporation"

Makeover shows... the one reason to go to the Falkland Islands.

Apparently there BFBS does a show like changing rooms where soldiers are given something like £200 to liven up each other's army quarters...

I dislike candles everywhere, people mention it being modern looking... So we're going back to the dark ages, ignoring all of the enhanced safety that electric lighting offers, and using candles. It just doesn't make sense. And combine those with the fabric coverings and curtains everywhere on the surfaces where the candles are put, just waiting to droop down... not a good idea.

Not just halogen downlighters, it'll have to be SELV lighting, or LV lighting as they call it... 'because it's safer'.., as they hide the transformer in all of that old insulation...

Folks,

If all the DIY and garden progs go out of fashion, what will happen to
the likes of:- Sarah Beeny :eek: , Kirsty Allsop, Charlie Dimmock?

They have brought their "outstanding attributes" to TV - brightening up our days.

I personally don't particularly want to watch Lawrence llewellyn bowler or
whatever his name is, flouncing about - but if it works for you, then I won't
knock it.

We all have a choice, if a well-rounded female is presenting something I've
got an interest in, then I'm going to down tools and sit back and relax.;)

If you don't like it then I believe that you can change over or switch off.

Hammy

I think it is more likely that all of the 60's and 70's houses that are now being 'modernised' will suddenly become realised for their place in our historical and cultural heritage, people will then go around re-installing the dodgy old gas fireplaces, re-artexing the ceilings and shares in woodchip manufacturers will soar!!!

On a serious note though, what many people are doing to the houseing stock today, are what others did to the victorian housing stock a few decades ago when they 'modernised' it....

hammy said:
... if a well-rounded female is presenting something I've
got an interest in, then I'm going to down tools and sit back and relax.;)...

Fair point but, like sheep, the great unwashed will do whatever those same well-rounded attributees tell them, leaving the home-improver of the future cursing as they skin their knuckles getting artex off crappy MDF 'features' posing as art. So, do you have any nominees for the future style dustbin?

Don't know about europe but it's banned in USA. To do with dusts problem when cutting

masona said:
Don't know about europe but it's banned in USA. To do with dusts problem when cutting

Excellent... (Monty Burns moment) next we can ban laminate flooring, then Linda Barker and soon... all sheds mwah-hah-hah-hahh!!!!

Barker, verb to stick fabric to things that don't need it, to cut holes in previously sound woodwork, to juxtapose unlikely elements... to really fk*c things up.

Usage: "Now that's completely barkered!"

See also, 'Bowen' and 'two-poofs-and-a-property'...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back