Discharged battery warning light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Car is a Jaguar XE, over pandemic hardly used, so on Sunday used for first time in months, and wife tells me there is a warning lamp saying the battery is discharged, the drive belt is OK and on putting on charge at returning home, using a energy meter supplying a smart charger so know battery took around 10 Ah, Used again Monday lamp still on, but the charger on return took seconds to switch down to very low rate 0.1 amp, less than would have been used if not charging, so it seems some how the car is reporting a low battery erroneously, so it seem likely some thing needs resetting.

Can't find a Jaguar agents in a reasonable distance in Wales, and as yet not allowed to go into England so any idea how to reset?

Sponsored Links
I don't think it's the car, I think it is the sensor being confused by the state of charge.

Some smart chargers can recover a deeply discharged battery, but it takes a long time.

It is also possible that your battery has been permanently damaged.

Is it silver-grey?

When did you last use, or charge, it?

Last time charged it was on for over a week until charger was turning on at 11:20 am each day then off again clearly the car was turning some thing on at 11:20 am every day. This it seems was stopped on the 16-01-2021 so around 2½ months since last time charged, and this time did not reach point where actually dropped to zero, but it did drop so it showed fully charged this was the charge rate.
28-3-21_Jag-All.jpg

3 watt = about 0.1 amp which is rather a small charge rate.

Sponsored Links
Car is a Jaguar XE, over pandemic hardly used, so on Sunday used for first time in months, and wife tells me there is a warning lamp saying the battery is discharged, the drive belt is OK and on putting on charge at returning home, using a energy meter supplying a smart charger so know battery took around 10 Ah, Used again Monday lamp still on, but the charger on return took seconds to switch down to very low rate 0.1 amp, less than would have been used if not charging, so it seems some how the car is reporting a low battery erroneously, so it seem likely some thing needs resetting.

Can't find a Jaguar agents in a reasonable distance in Wales, and as yet not allowed to go into England so any idea how to reset?
My wife's RR Evoque had the same problem. I think they use the same system.

Having fully charged the battery, the car was still coming up with the low battery warning. We just ignored the warning (we knew the battery was ok, the powered boot won't open if the battery actually is low) and after using the car a few times the system reset itself and recognised the battery as charged.

I have a feeling battery sulphated to some extent, took car out of drive yesterday and back in, and voltage dropped to 12.6 which really is too low for such a short time off charge, so will leave on charge for a week, this does mean however the other cars likely also need charging up again, it seems a regular job charging car batteries. Some day maybe we can drive them again.

Back