Power used by a car when not in use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do not want to remove battery terminal, I simply don't know if it will cause problems, in the past it has resulted in Radio no longer working.

Clearly the car does use some power, or the phone app allowing you to remotely start car and warm it up before getting in it would not work. However walked out to car and put smart charger on it as 17 day lock down.

Noted voltage was 12.6 which did seem low as used day before, and smart charger put on battery which charges in stages 3.8 amp, 3 amp, 0.8 amp and 0.1 amp. With the old car battery the charger will go through all stages and at 0.1 amp the battery voltage will raise to 13.4 volt, never seems to exceed that, smaller caravan battery will hit 13.8 volt, that's a 90 Ah AGM and a 75 Ah flooded.

So on the car either the charger should alternate between 0.8 amp and 0.1 amp, or at 0.1 amp the voltage should rise above 12.8 volt, the energy meter has not shown it switching to 0.8 amp and the voltage has remained steady at 12.8 volt for 2 days. It seems unlikely the car uses spot on 0.1 amp at 0.1 amp over a month that is 74 Ah so that does seem too high, so what would a Jaguar XE use when standing? how often would it need charging to ensure always ready to go.

Even if battery voltage is 13 volt, I would feel it is fully charged and voltage raising, but know sulphated plates can take 10 days to recover, and car was not stop starting at junctions, I know with fully charged battery engine will stop/start at junctions, so fact that it didn't points to battery not fully charged.

Sponsored Links
What car is it?
The CAN bus goes to rest after 10 - 20 minutes in most cars and you might see 30 - 50 mA of current.
In modern cars you can disconnect the batterie without needing to reprogram your radio.

Sponsored Links
It took 5 days for voltage to start raising, and wife wanted car to go to doctors, so chargers moved to other cars. From volt reading just in time as Sorento was under 12 volt, so 3 amp charge and around 90 Ah battery so tomorrow evening maybe finished, the Jazz was not so bad, but nearly new battery on that.

Back