Discoloured bath panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've posted it in plumbing as is it the bath. :)
So my bath panel has become discoloured (yellow) and I'd like it back to it's original white colour.

I've tried mixing bleach and bicarbonate of soda - didn't work
Bought chlorine tablets,disolved these with water and mixed in bicarbonate of soda - didnt work

The photo shows it's current state

Any ideas what will work (apart form buying a new panel)

Attachments

• IMG_6302[1].JPG
    IMG_6302[1].JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 489
Sponsored Links
Does anybody in the house smoke, or burn candles?

Odd.

Does any sunlight fall on it? Does it have light and dark patches?

Sponsored Links
That has nothing to do with the summer temps, that's something else. If it was the temps then it would all have gone the same colour.

Funny how the shadow in the pic seems to fall very close to the discoloured lines, is that a south facing window behind?

It's the type of plastic that's yellowed.
Replace or paint it with rattle can

I have the same problem with my U.K. manufactured bath. The side panel is made from an inferior plastic that is not colour fast. When I got on to the manufacture they were not interested and said it was outside warranty even through it was going yellow inside the warranty.

Whitd paint will often go yellow unless exposed to sunlight, which bleaches it.

Don't know if the same applies to plastic bath panels

Unfortunately yours is a special shape so difficult to replace.

I wonder if vinyl wrap would work?

White plastic isn't UV stable, when sunlight hits it, the UV causes a chemical reaction that yellows the pigment.

There are chemical ways (soak in Bleach/water - H2O2 - etc) to recover it to some degree but none ever get it back to white properly. Given it's a bath panel then it may be difficult to find something to soak it is without affection the container it's in.

1. Try cleaning a small unobtrusive part of the panel with chrome cleaner. If the light discolouration hasn't penetrated too deep, may work.
2. Rattle can = aerosol spray.

Not sure we have rattle can in the UK?
Spray can from DIY store that is OK to use on plastic.
Fine scotch pad as don't want to scratch. Clean surface.
Warm spray can in hot water and spray. White I guess and may need two cans for that's panel.

When you shake can for two minutes it will rattle with ball inside.. Rattle cans = spray can

This is the plastic bathpanel and not the bathtub itself.

Ok so decided nothing can clean it so I want to paint it, without removing it and taking it anywhere.

I'm in the UK, - what do I need to use on it to paint it please?

I've seen online epoxy paint or shall I just go to B & Q/Wickes and ask.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back