Discolouring on New Paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, this is a bit odd and maybe nothing, but I was wondering if anyone with more experience of painting exterior woodwork might know what's going on.

I made a rough table out of pallet wood and gave it three coats of Cuprinol Garden Shades Daisy White. It looked fine in the dry of the garage but after a week out on the deck and a couple of rainstorms, the water lying on the top has a strange discolouration (see attached photo).

The trellis behind was given the same three coats about a month back and has similar discolouring, which I put down to rusty staples leeching into the paint. There are no rusty nails in the table though.

I'm not sure if this is down to the paint I used, it only seems to be happening on the surfaces that have standing water on them. I'm kinda thinking it might actually be the rainwater that's discoloured.

Anyone seen this before?

Attachments

• IMG_20200819_075531.jpg
    IMG_20200819_075531.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 120
Sponsored Links
Hi There.

It might be oils and sap leeching thru from the wood. But a white tinted colour always going to be a pain in garden with the rain. Try giving it a clean with some bleach kitchen spray.

I thought it might have been the crap wood I used for the table, but then the trellis is off-the-shelf treated and a different beast altogether. It definitely looks like the paint doesn't like prolonged contact with water, which would be odd for a 'garden' product.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back