Disconnect Solar Panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got some old water heating solar panels on the roof of my house. We've been here for 5 years and they have never worked. We've called multiple companies to look at getting them going again but nobody was interested in it, and at this point I've lost interest in it too.

We've got a builder coming round in a couple of weeks to do some work on the roof which will involve scaffold (chimney repointing, dormer windows being reflashed). Whilst he's at that I'm wanting to get him to just remove the solar panels and make the roof good.

Will I be okay to just cut the pipes and cap them on the inside of the roof? That side of the hot water tank has been drained down for a significant length of time so I can't see any reason no to, but wanted to double check.

Sponsored Links
If the pipes are cut on the outside then any water will drain down the roof - then cut them back inside - and cap maybe with some push fit drain cocks. I think there would be more luck with Lazarus than getting water solars going again ;) Once capped you could post some pics of the inside gubbins and people could advise what to remove /disconnect fully.

What a pity you can't get anyone to repair a simple solar thermal system.
Take comfort in the knowledge that solar thermal has been largely superceded by solar photovoltaic (even in sunny Aberdeen). Solar PV takes up more roof space than thermal, but it's output of electricity is much more useful, especially when coupled with a Solar iBoost or Immersun immersion heater driver.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back