Flexi pipe for solar panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm working on a new build house at the moment, carrying out all the plumbing and heating work. The customer wants to fit solar panels after the rest of the house is done, and wants me to "put the pipework in place" in the roof before the internal roof space is boarded (the roof space will be 2 attic bedrooms and an en suite bathroom, hence the boarding). The twin coil cylinder will be in a cupboard downstairs. I was hoping to go on a solar training course beforehand, but he wants the pipes in place before the internal roof is boarded, next Saturday, and I'm not going to be able to get on one before then. He's also annoyingly uncertain about the size of the panels to be fit and seems to think I'll be able to guess where the pipes need to be, but that's by the by. I know that flexi pipe needs to be used to connect to the panels, but can this be converted to copper or does it have to be flexi all the way to the cylinder? Also, what diameter copper (if allowed) and are brass compression fittings to be used exclusively?

Should I just tell him he'll have to wait to board the attic until the solar panels are on the roof?

Sponsored Links
You have a no win situation.

My advice is that you cannot specify the type of pipe OR the location without knowing the type of system and the number and type of panels to be used.

If you guess and get it wrong then you could be considered legally liable for the costs of putting it right and after flooring and plastering that will be very considerable.

A solar installation I visit sometimes to repair the boiler has the tubes crossing the roof externally but encased loosely in RWP. In that case its just as well as one of the pipes is seriously leaking.

Its a two story house and they installed big panels from ladders.

Tony

I have fitted five solar installations now. Fit panel first then drill holes in roof tiles and little room for error. Also the panels are bolted through the roof tiles and into the roof space beneath (or metal pices slid under tiles and screwed to battens/rafters inside). For all of this you need access to underside of roof tiles.

You cannot fit solar panels later if you seal roofspace (on panels I have fitted so far anyway - Navitron).

Sponsored Links
We fit the vaillant sstem and there's no need to even enter the loft to
secure the panels,everything is done from the roof externaly.Excluding piperun.

Can't see an issue with you fitting the preinsulated pipework from cylinder cupboard to loft leaving enough coiled in the loft space for where the panels might go.

Lee

We fit the vaillant sstem and there's no need to even enter the loft to
secure the panels,everything is done from the roof externaly.Excluding piperun.

Can't see an issue with you fitting the preinsulated pipework from cylinder cupboard to loft leaving enough coiled in the loft space for where the panels might go.

Lee

Only problem with that is that the roof will be boarded internally so won't be able to get to the pipes.

You have a no win situation.

My advice is that you cannot specify the type of pipe OR the location without knowing the type of system and the number and type of panels to be used.

If you guess and get it wrong then you could be considered legally liable for the costs of putting it right and after flooring and plastering that will be very considerable.

A solar installation I visit sometimes to repair the boiler has the tubes crossing the roof externally but encased loosely in RWP. In that case its just as well as one of the pipes is seriously leaking.

Its a two story house and they installed big panels from ladders.

Tony

Cheers Tony.

I have fitted five solar installations now. Fit panel first then drill holes in roof tiles and little room for error. Also the panels are bolted through the roof tiles and into the roof space beneath (or metal pices slid under tiles and screwed to battens/rafters inside). For all of this you need access to underside of roof tiles.

You cannot fit solar panels later if you seal roofspace (on panels I have fitted so far anyway - Navitron).

Cheers for the advice. Another issue is he's having a twin coil cylinder fitted even though he doesn't know when he'll be having the panels fitted (think he's got some issue with planning, which is why he isn't getting them fitted now), so obviously the cylinder isn't going to work to full efficiency. I think he just likes the idea of having solar panels without actually thinking it through.

I dont see any problem with a twin coil cylinder.

Except in special planning locations the panels dont usually need planning consent although you may have to advise the planners by letter first.

Tony

PiPe the coils in series for the time being to avoid legionella issues,that way you also get top eff from the cylinder.

As for planning,anything less than 100mm projection off of the finished roof
doesn't need consent,even if you did have to apply
which you don't,they can't refuse due to the governments current renewables policies.

If the ceilings being boarded then he's got tough sh.. Unless you pit them eiether end of the roof space but then pull them through and run externally when the panels get fitted.

PiPe the coils in series for the time being to avoid legionella issues,that way you also get top eff from the cylinder.

As for planning,anything less than 100mm projection off of the finished roof
doesn't need consent,even if you did have to apply
which you don't,they can't refuse due to the governments current renewables policies.

If the ceilings being boarded then he's got tough sh.. Unless you pit them eiether end of the roof space but then pull them through and run externally when the panels get fitted.

Cheers. I think it's more of an issue with getting the panels signed off on the original drawings, or something, rather than having to apply for planning permission, since it's a new build. anyway, the crux of the matter seems to be he can't have them fitted as long as the internal roof space is boarded, which is fine with me.

I have not checked the exact wording of the planning notice but there is a possibility that on a new build the panels have to be recessed withing the roof surface.

Tony

Nope 100mm projection,why do you think velux make there windows the depth they do.

It's integrated on new build cos it's easier to fit before tiling the roof rather than retrofiting panels on top of already laid tiles.

what size of property is it how many occupants if you have this information you can work out aprox size of cylinder and pannel requirement 50 litres of hot water per person per day plus 50 so three people will require aprox 200 litre store ,this will in tern require aprox 4sq meters flat plate or 3.4 sq meters evacuated tube if you know which manufacturer you are going to use you can get the sizes off their web site and your aprox positions for your pipes.hope this helps
Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back