Refill hot water solar panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a hot water solar panel on the roof. A couple of days ago the pump was making a sqeeching noise and I thought the pump was broken. I disconnected the pump and planned to look for a new one but also wanted to check the function and removed it. On the bench the pump worked fine and I refitted it, but despite the panel showing a higher temperature than the hot water cylinder the water was not getting any warmer. Even though there was a dribble of liquid coming out of the pipe I think the system has run dry and needs refilling / recharging.
How best can I refill the system???

When it was fitted the company put a T with an isolation valve under the garage roof. The T has a 15mm connection.
The solar panel is on the same level as the hot water cylinder.

Has anyone refilled their solar panel using a pump?
Are there any DIY / pumps available for this kind of job?
Pump_4.JPG

Sponsored Links
It needs filling with the correct solar fluid, using a special filling pump which will remove all the air from the fluid as it fills. These pumps are normally available from hire centres, but all the hire centres are shut until further notice so you may have to wait. It'll also need doing very early in the morning before the panel starts warming up - pump cold fluid into a hot panel and the results are as spectacular as they are expensive.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

What is the normal or typical amount of solar fluid for a system. Our panel is about 3 x 1 m and the distance to the cylinder is 15m?

I see no evidence of a pressure gauge. How will you know when to stop the filling process?
Where did your old fluid go? Is there evidence of a chronic leak?
What system pressure should you have?
Having that data to hand will help you avoid many pitfalls.
You can buy premixed solar fluid from BES, and have it delivered. www.BES.co.uk. It has expensive chemicals in it which prevent corrosion and that are stable at the high temperatures that solar systems can get to.

The pressure gauge, expansion vessel and blow off valve are in a different location. It reads Zero. I do not know where the fluid has gone, but we have always had some escape from the valve.

The panel temperature readings are up to 80°C. we have some shade from neighbour's trees now from the west.

What is that filling loop for ?
You can convert a garden sprayer to refill the system if there is a manual air vent fitted. Don't attempt to refill it when the panel is in full sun.

edit: search navitron to find out how to use the sprayer.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks for the advice on Navitron. I got some helpful pictures but would like to know what the parts use are.
I did not get far asking for the parts involved though.

Can anyone tell me what connectors they would have used on attached picture?

garden Sprayer to solar pressure__1.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back