solar question

Perhaps elliott is Dr Drivel.

A new alter ego just to try and have someone agree with him :eek:

IP address will confirm or not:cool:

Sponsored Links
i have had a new central heating system installed recently, i got a santon 210ltr indirect twin coil cylinder. The boiler & cylinder is installed in a single story extension. i want to install solar panels on the flat roof (it gets good sunlight).

could anybody recoment a good system that i could fit myself, also a 'idiots guide to solar'. thnx

I would retrofit this ...........
http://www.willis-renewables.com/downloads.htm

Its new, its compact, its effective, its innovative and most importantly it works. :)
Created by a company with over 100 years experience in the heating industry.
Their is also a short clip showing the advantages of heating a cylinder from the top down as opposed to internal convection currents via internal coils.
It costs £275.
You can download an evaluation performance test carried out by the University of Ulster for this product.

A bolt-on heat exchanger, nothing new. I have never known anything inventive come out of Ireland, although willing to be proved wrong. May as well take te solar panels directly to the cylidner and have a drain down system. Much more efficient.

How much is this thing?

May as well use a 100kW plate heat exchanger for £80ish, it will do the same thing and probably far more efficiently.

oilman - Let me explain what the article you keep referring to means. I have read it and I understand it, unfortunately you don't. Moron.

The guy in the article has installed a Navitron vacuum tube system for his hot water but also a small PV system for his electricity. There are two differnet types of solar panel, but lets no confuse you too much right now.

The man in the article says how much electricty his two solar panels have produced and gives the figure in kWh. We don't know any a lot about his pv installation, IE brand, size, orientation, type of photovoltaic module he's using but he using 110W modules and states this...

PV = around 250 kwh?? ( this is a broad estimate because I had several power switch off's/failures which reset power monitor automatically to zero)

....PV means photovoltaic.

Why argue with me on something you know nothing about.

PS Well done for reading and understanding the article.

You are a Berk. Thanks for confirming.

It's soooo wonderful to have such an intelligent being as your good self at last gracing the forum with your erudite prose, with not a disparaging word in sight. (Can't same the same about the badly spelt ones though)

respect.gif

Doctor Drivel wrote

A bolt-on heat exchanger

Theirs no bolts on this one. ;)

nothing new

Can you name a similar product readily available on the market that can allow a retrofit on an existing system so easily where lets say second coils are not fitted for example ?.
(And yes I have just re -read the OP's post and realise he has a second coil in his cylinder so his system will be more suitable for connection to this)

I have never know anything inventive come out of Ireland, although willing to be proved wrong.

Theirs poets, singers and songwriters for a start.

May as well take te solar panels directly to the cylidner and have a drain down system. Much more efficient.

Until the solar panels scale up that is. :(

How much is this thing?
£275

May as well use a 100kW plate heat exchanger for £80ish, it will do the same thing and probably far more efficiently.

And requires a second pump. Plus the moment the pump starts the entire contents of the cylinder are mixed down to a lower temperature destroying the stratafication.

Sponsored Links
Balenza, I hope you are not questioning the knowledge of the famous Doctor Drivel, great friend and live-in-lover of elliot. ;)

Hmmn.
You know me oilman. Im always willing to be put down. ;)

And requires a second pump. Plus the moment the pump starts the entire contents of the cylinder are mixed down to a lower temperature destroying the stratafication.

A 100kw Plate heat exchanger fitted to the bottom of the cylinder will create thermo-syphonic convection into the cylinder. I know from my experiments using heat banks that unless a check valve is fitted on the primary to the DHW plate it will convect very easily. Only one pump is needed.

That is £250 to approx £100. Even if you get two plates in series (200kW), and that is about £180 it is still cheaper and smaller and far more efficient. The efficiency will be amazing with two plates and still convection. Two Sweps would be very good - long and thin. Try one first and if the return is too hot back to the solar panel add another in series. So simple you can add on plates heat exchangers.

Hmmn.

You have been :)

Nope. I disagree on this occasion.
Willis are marketing the Solasyphon. Not swep plate heat exchangers.

Its their own design and carries on from previous innovations during their long history.

How many products have you had Universities carry out extensive testing on and then went on to market and successfully sell the product ??.

One of Ireland's best known singers is Samantha Mumba who was born in Dublin!

samantha_mumba_150.jpg

I dont know for sure because he is retired and does not go to any heating shows, IPHE meetings, Plumb Center, ARGI or anywhere else where real working heating engineers might go. But I would immagine that Dr Drivel might look like this:-

BCP039-70.jpg

Dr Drivel

Tony

Hmmn.

You have been :)

Nope. I disagree on this occasion.
Willis are marketing the Solasyphon. Not swep plate heat exchangers.

I know. It is no better, and probably a lot less so, than a highly efficient plate heat exchanger fitted in the same location on the bottom of a cylinder - which costs a hell of a lot less.

Also you could fit a plate heat exchanger "inside" a cylinder fed through the immersion boss with soft copper pipes run through the tappings. The efficiency will rise again.

How much is the DHW heat exchanger on an Ethos 54kW boiler? Mmmm It is a copper shell coil - 4 small pipes through one big pipe shell. Fit one of these in the same place and the same effect too.

What they have done is no major innovation.

When there is no solar heat to be taken from the solar panels, this thing will "extract" heat from the cylinder as it will not stop convecting. Putting a plate inside the cylinder will stop that.

One of Ireland's best known singers is Samantha Mumba who was born in Dublin!

That's an innovation?

I dont know for sure because he is retired

He is?

and does not go to any heating shows, IPHE meetings, Plumb Center, ARGI or anywhere else where real working heating engineers might go.

What good are they? They talk about what they did 10 years ago.

You know you only got 5/10, and that was mainly for effort.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back