Solar cylinder question

gms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I had a new boiler and solar system installed about 7 years ago. In May 2016 the solar stopped working and I had Glow worm engineer fix the problem by replacing the solar thermal sensor which slides into a pocket at the bottom of the tank. In May 2017 the same sensor stopped working again. This time the engineer replaced the sensor but advised that the cylinder was leaking and water was getting into the solar pocket causing the sensor to break. He said I would need a new cylinder. My question is, if there was a hole in the cylinder being as it is under pressure water would be streaming out. This is not the case, however what I did notice is that there is quite a bit of limescale staining around the immersion boss and the water pipe connections on the tank. There is no sign of any water leakage on the floor under the tank. Am I right in thinking that if the cylinder was drained down and the pipework re-jointed, that this might be the extent of the problem? If not I will need the name of a local contractor near Canterbury Kent who is able to drain down both the cylinder and the solar system fit a new cylinder and recommission both.
Thanks in advance for your advice. GMS

For information: The system I have consists of:
1 x ATAG A320S central heating boiler.
1 x Newark 1800x400 206 ltr twin coil solar copper cylinder. Fitted with a Inta thermostatic mixing valve with interchangeable cartridge (Intamix solar)
1 x Glowworm Clearly solar system including Fluropro solar differential controller.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back