Disconnected Lounge Lights - now no lights in kitchen/diner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping someone can help! I've disconnected 2 ceiling lights in the lounge of the house we've just moved into in readiness for decorating etc

...however, the lights in the dining room and the kitchen are now not working when I turn back on the power (checked the Consumer Unit - all fuses are on)

One of the lounge fittings had a brown and blue wire, so that matches the new light fitting (not yet fitted due to imminent decorating)

However, the 2nd ceiling light had Black, Blue, Yellow/Green and Yellow cables...and yes stupidly I didn't take pictures before dismantling, as I planned to get a sparky in to fit the new ones once the decorating is done...not realising that the disconnection would cause lights in other rooms to fail in the meantime! (cooking by candlelight is romantic but also a pain in the ....!)

I don't really want to pay for a sparky to come out twice to fix the current issue, and then again to install the new lights.

Can anyone explain why disconnecting the lounge lights has affected other rooms? Hall, garage and downstairs study light all still working.

Lounge only has a single switch for both lights.

Sponsored Links
Look In the wiki to see how the loop in method of a lighting circuit works. Basically a permanent live and neutral (called a feed) run to each light in turn and then a switch wire goes from light to switch. You have disconnected the feed onto the next lights. You need a multi Meyer to find the feeds

lighting circuits are radial circuits, meaning the cable goes from the consumer unit to point a, then point b, c etc

Your lounge seems to be the second to last point, with the kitchen being the last point.

Are you sure there aren't more cables for your second light fitting?

It sounds like you have cores from at least two cables, but with some missing

3 core + earth would give you G/Y, Yellow, Red & Blue
Twin & earth would give you G/Y, Red & Black

As you can see you're missing two reds, can you see these?

Are there no red wires in the roses you have removed ?

The supply to the kichen lights will have been taken from the lounge light ceiling rose.

In most cases a cable with red and black brings power to the rose. Another cable takes it to the next rose.
A third cable takes live down to the switch ( red wire ) and brings switched live ( black wire ) from the switch. This lack should have a red sleeve on it.

The first two need to be connected red to red and black to black. For the time being the third must not be connected. If you do switching the switch will short the live to neutral and trip the MCB and possible damage the switch.

If you do not know for certain which is the cable to the switch you need to get a multi-meter to be able to find which is the cable to the switch.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back