Kitchen strip light help needed!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I recently took down my kitchen strip light to plaster my ceiling and put everything back and now I'm having loads of problems!
When I first disconnected it, we had no lights in the lounge but everywhere else was fine. Now it's reconnected there's still no lounge lights and the kitchen light won't turn on or off by the switch, but stays on once I turn the power back on! It's a newly wired house too so I'm stumped. Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Well, you have reconnected it wrongly.

You will need to determine which is the switch cable by testing the wires with a continuity meter or test lamp - with the power off.

1wtb5mx.gif

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What cables have you got at the fitting, and how have you connected them? How were they connected before you took it down?...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What cables have you got at the fitting, and how have you connected them? How were they connected before you took it down?...

If the op knew that he wouldn't be posting :LOL:

New property should be wired per the EFLIs posted drawing. OP if you still have a problem post a picture, hopefully one of the cores will have a sleeve or tape on it (not the green yellow earths) that identifies the switch wire.

If you don't have any idea which is the switch wire you will need to borrow a multi meter to continuity test.

Turn off the circuit, test to make sure it is off, open the switch, join the wires and test at the ceiling for a cable that shows continuity. Un join the wires, test the cable again and confirm it was the right one (because it did have continuity, now it's un joined it won't). Make sure you mark the cable as a switch cable and then re terminate the switch and the wires at the ceiling per diagram.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks all for the advice, think I'm going to have to just pay out for an electrician as nothing has made any difference. Hopefully it'll be something stupid that can be sorted as cheaply as possible as the house has cost a small fortune in repairs lately!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Next time, try to embrace the idea that the fact that you know SFA about how electrical circuits work really does mean that you should not fiddle with them.

Sponsored Links