Disconnecting a wire from the Fuse box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm redecorating an old kitchen and intend to remove the old cooker/socket switch. Because the cable from the socket goes through too many walls, floors and staircases I have but 2 choices, either a) bury the wire in the wall behind the plaster which I know is a big no no or b) to detach it directly from the fuse box. I've done quite a bit of electrics before but have never had to touch the main fuse box before so can you please tell me how I do this in the safest possible manner,

Thanks

Keith

Sponsored Links
why do you wan't to get rid of it?

an easy soloution would just be to use the cable to feed a socket. that way you can leave it connected just fine.

I agree, but the cable only runs to shoulder height so a socket in the middle of an empty wall would look rather silly. Is there a good way of either extending the cable or capping it off and burying it?

you could crimp it to extend it lower and put a socket there, but make sure existing cable is still in permited area

OR

to disconnect from CU, remove live/neutral/earth from terminals. put choc block on the end (this is so it can be re-connected at a later date. choc block to insulate bare ends

Sponsored Links
It may be a good idea to leave the EARTH connected, but isolate the Phase and Neutral lines of the cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back