Disconnecting an extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to diconnect the extractor fan in the upstairs toilet. It's a small room, well ventilated with a window and nothing in there but the loo.

It's connected to the light switch and I'm guessing the light and fan are on their own spur (previous house owner installed it).

The switch has four main terminals and there is a twin and earth cable and 3-core (blue/red/yellow/earth) cable wired in.

Can I just disconnect the 3-core to the fan to have just the light in there? Can I re-use the switch or should I change it for a simple light-switch?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
I would expect the T+E to be the feed and the 3C+E to be live, switched live & neutral.
So how is the light supplied.
A drawing or piccie would be helpful.
What terminations and cables have you at the light and at the fan?

The wiring is all connected to the upstairs lighting circuit by a wire coming in from the bottom left of the switch.

Here's the switch:
DSC00933.JPG

The light:
DSC00934.JPG

The fan:
DSC00935.JPG

The wiring conduit:
DSC00936.JPG

From the picture of the switch, it looks like I was right.
You have T+E (red and Black) supply and the 3C+E is red perm live, Yellow switched live and Blue neutral.
Not sure how a light comes into the picture but if you want remove the fan, remove all teh connections from the 3C+E and replace with a T+E to the light connecting the black/blue to where the blue was and red/brown to where the Yellow was.

Sponsored Links
The light T&E was already connected to the switch with the supply - I've disconnected the 3-core connections and earth leaving the light and supply wired as before.

It's all working fine now, thanks for the help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back