Disconneting a sink - T-piece capping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to remove a wash-basin in a room adjacent to the bathroom. On inspection, it turns out that the hot and cold are fed from the supplies going to the bathroom sink. They branch off using T-pieces and there is an isolation valve on each . Diagram below (hopefully it makes sense). All of this plumbing is in the bathroom with only the pipes going through to the spare room.

| |
| |
| ===<VALVE>===SINK
| |
| |

What is the best way of disconnecting the sink? The easiest way would seem to be to cap off after the isolation valve, but I don't know if an unused spur is a bad idea.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Just close the iso valves and undo the fittings downstream. Simple.

Thanks. Is there a chance this could cause a dead end though, allowing the water collected there to stagnate?

chrishutt said:
Just close the iso valves and undo the fittings downstream. Simple.

Yes, but if it's a short dead-end it's nothing to worry about. I'd only be remotely concerned at a dead-end of more than a couple of metres.

Sponsored Links
If hidden, connect a short peice of copper pipe witha push fit stop end on it to the isolation valve. If accidently opened or fiddled with by a child, then the pipes will not leak water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back