Dishwasher gurgling when emtpying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have this plumbing setup.

When the dishwasher drains it gurgles really loud. Can i do anything to fix this?
BZWHgdB

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Ok, so the reason you can hear it gurgling is because it terminates before the trap, and noise will be apparent in both the sink and small bowl. You may also get some smells, info it were me, I don’t be looking to rearrange the trap setup, not sure an air admittance piece would work on that.

The setup is as it should be, (for a change!), you'll get some noise of gurgling when the machine empties, it's unavoidable. Possible there is a build up of gunge in the outgoing waste pipe, a mechanical clean may be worth a try to ensure the pipework can run full bore, and there's less chance of syphonage, but that's about it. Where does the pipework go after the photo?

DO NOT be tempted to try and use any chemical cleaners, in this situation they are unlikely to do much, and are extremely dangerous if contact is made with skin or tissue.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
+1 for @Hugh Jaleak above.
Nothing is maintenance free... If you can handle the pong that kitchen traps and dishwasher drains kick up, then dismantle that lot and give it all a good clean out with hot soapy water, bottle brushes and fingers... Don't do it in the sink above though :LOL:
Oh, and if you have access to a wet vac, stick that on the end of the dishwasher drain hose and give it a good suck out!

If you want to get rid of the gurgling then you have to add a separate trapped connection for the dishwasher, called an appliance stand pipe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back