Dishwasher Installation Room Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen.

The depth of it is 550mm and the depth of my cupboard is larger than this. The issue, however, is that the pipe which leads to the sink (next door cupboard) comes out quite a bit, decreasing the depth space within it. This makes the actual depth of the cupboard (to the pipe) 510mm, so 40mm short for fitting the dishwasher.

There's quite a bit of space behind the pipe itself (and backboard of the cupboard). So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on whether it would be feasible for me to get perhaps a shorter joining pipe to decrease the depth by 40mm and push it back closer to the wall (which there is room for) so the dishwasher could fit?

If so, would anyone be able to point me in the right direction for what I should be looking for? Or, equally, this is just an idea from me, so if anyone has any other or better ones, please let me know!

If I did this I would need to obviously carry that on to pipe through to the next cupboard (with the sink).

I've attached pictures of the pipe in the dishwasher cupboard I want to move back, and the cupboard it leads into (with the sink).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20240105_090646.jpg
    20240105_090646.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 20240105_090651.jpg
    20240105_090651.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 20240105_090841.jpg
    20240105_090841.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 62
Sponsored Links
The limit on pushing that waste pipe back will be the copper pipes (in your first pic, presumably leading to the taps). Apart from that, and the limited fall on the horizontal, carry on. Thats a fairly rough looking install, almost as if whoever did it forgot about the waste til after the units were in. Whole idea of the service void is to hide the pipe runs....

The limit on pushing that waste pipe back will be the copper pipes (in your first pic, presumably leading to the taps). Apart from that, and the limited fall on the horizontal, carry on. Thats a fairly rough looking install, almost as if whoever did it forgot about the waste til after the units were in. Whole idea of the service void is to hide the pipe runs....
Yes indeed it is! Would you say that pushing the whole thing back by getting 'slimmer' pipe joins as such, to decrease how much they come into the cupboard is the best way to go?

Yes indeed it is! Would you say that pushing the whole thing back by getting 'slimmer' pipe joins as such, to decrease how much they come into the cupboard is the best way to go?
For sure. Ideally you'd run straight behind until you got to the sink, then pop out (or tee in). Don't forget you'll need somewhere for the waste from the dishwasher to go. If the copper tubes are in the way, move them (you could use pushfit fittings and put a couple of crossovers in if you're not kitted out for soldering).

Sponsored Links
For sure. Ideally you'd run straight behind until you got to the sink, then pop out (or tee in). Don't forget you'll need somewhere for the waste from the dishwasher to go. If the copper tubes are in the way, move them (you could use pushfit fittings and put a couple of crossovers in if you're not kitted out for soldering).
Unfortunately, I think there's a wood block that's in the way (can just be seen in the left side of the picture) that might stop it going straight across.

Do you happen to know of slim joins exist? Or should I be looking for something else? If you know the kind of thing I should be looking for, would you mind pointing me in the right direction / telling me what I should be buying? Apologies, I'm completely new to this!

It just seems that I need two right angles, but I'm not sure how much slimmer they can get, so I'm wondering if I need to do something else to get round this?

Would something like this work and perhaps bending it round to create a slimmer profile?

I've attached a close up picture of the current fitting, in case that helps.

Would the dishwasher waste and fitting this - is this something that would connect into the sink area?

Attachments

• 20240105_115150.jpg
    20240105_115150.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Ahh, thats a lump of 3 x 2 rather than a piece of copper pipe. Presumably it is propping up the worktop in the middle of the sink? I'd be exploring alternatives to that (a run of 3 x 2 horizontal bridging both units to support the top maybe). Cheap units with a hardboard back plane, better ones have a chipboard back (which would support your worktop nicely thus not needing the pit prop)
Avoid those flexi things if at all possible, they tend to block rather easily.
Any little tweaks you do to that setup will be t*rd-polishing i'm afraid. I'm sure there will be a way of lashing something up but you'd be better pulling it out and starting again

Ahh, thats a lump of 3 x 2 rather than a piece of copper pipe. Presumably it is propping up the worktop in the middle of the sink? I'd be exploring alternatives to that (a run of 3 x 2 horizontal bridging both units to support the top maybe). Cheap units with a hardboard back plane, better ones have a chipboard back (which would support your worktop nicely thus not needing the pit prop)
Avoid those flexi things if at all possible, they tend to block rather easily.
Any little tweaks you do to that setup will be t*rd-polishing i'm afraid. I'm sure there will be a way of lashing something up but you'd be better pulling it out and starting again
Ah yeah, I see what you mean. By pulling it out and starting again, do you mean the whole kitchen counter unit? As that would obviously be pretty expensive for just installing a dishwasher!

If I weren't to do that, do you have any ideas on how I might adapt my current situation to reduce the amount the pipes enter the cupboard?

A vertical baton like that would be more likely to be what the unit is screwed to, worktops usually screwed down to the units using stretcher plates or a horizontal baton across the back upper carcase support.

Depending on how that baton is screwed to the wall then a section may be able to be cut out to allow that waste pipe to be moved back, the problem is that copper pipe. What is that feeding? Cold feed for an outside tap/appliance or a gas supply pipe for a hob?

Where does the waste pipe exit the house and how high up the wall is it?

Do you have a picture of where it goes into the drainage outside?

Thanks all for the responses. I don't believe it leads to anything outside, so I'd imagine it is a gas supply feed.

I'll get a picture later in terms of the waste pipe exit.

However, all I really need to do is move it back 4-5cm, which would not actually reach the copper pipe.

Therefore, I only need to just make enough clearance to get the dishwasher in 40-50mm). I was wondering if perhaps I could use two 45 degree angle pipes instead, like this, instead of two 90 degree angle pipes to reduce the space it takes up inside the cupboard?

I wouldn't need to go so far back as to need to move the copper pipes I don't think.

Do not, in any circumstances use push fit, you don't have the correct pipe.

If you want to move that waste pipe back you would really need to start that in the undersink cupboard. Then cut a channel out of the adjoining sections, where that silly looking metal pipe sleeve/cover is and do all the adjustments under the sink and then just run a straight pipe along the back of the D/Washer cupboard.

It's all solvent weld though so the sections under the sink would need altered to take the horizontal pipe backwards. I'm also wondering what that
(edit spell) yellow ball valve is under the sink is too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice regarding the push fit.

My current idea is to get two of these 45 degree angle pipes joins (see hyperlink) and 3m of 40mm pipe, alongside some couplers. I'd then replace the 90 degree angle pipes with the 45 degree (coupler in-between) in the hope that it'd reduce how much they enter the cupboard.

However, I do wonder whether something like this might be better and take up even less of a footprint? https://charterhouse-aquatics.com/shop/aquatics/fittings/s-bends/40mm-s-bend

I'd also obviously need to replace it as said under the sink up to the twist joins with new pipe and solvent joins.

I've also attached pictures of the yellow ball valve, which appears to be gas, alongside my cold and hot water feeds which run up to the sink. I believe I need to get a washing machine vale tee and install it onto the cold water pipe, so I can connect the dishwasher to it and then the waste pipe to the connecter under the sink.

Does this seem like a sensible plan, or should I be doing something else?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240107_181204_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240107_181204_Chrome.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240107_171232.jpg
    20240107_171232.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240107_171152.jpg
    20240107_171152.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 21
Hi all

I'm planning on doing this soon. Just wondering whether anyone could tell me if this piping is suitable or not?

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back