Washing Machine relocate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At present my washing machine is in an extension on the kitchen, and i would like to bring it into the kitchen. I have my dishwasher next to the sink and i can put the washing machine or dishwasher in the other space available. We rent the house and the floor is tiled, so we cant go under flooring with pipework, my only idea is to come out of the cupboard under the sink, across the back door threshold (pipes will be visible) and into the plinth of the cupboards on the opposite side. I dont know if this will work.. my husband is saying it cant be done although i know its because he doesnt want to do it anyway! He says the problem will be with the waste pipe, tell me what you think?! 1) sink - dishwasher at side 2) door threshold 3) space available / destination
View media item 37128 View media item 37129 View media item 37130

Sponsored Links
Is the landlord happy with you chopping out bits of his plinth/cupboards and amending pipework? I take it you've asked :confused:

As for the wastepipe, then if there is access to the pipework under the sink then this is quite possibly do-able if one can install an additional spigot. Hard to tell without a picture. It's also not entirely clear where your intended space for the washing machine is from the photo's youve published

We have already modified pipework for the machine to be in the extension, my landlord doesnt give a hoot, showers been broken for months and he wont replace it, had sewage leak and all kinds of problems but thats another story... Im happy to buy new plinths when i leave if needs be...
Anyway, my husband has installed new kitchen, full central heating system etc on a renovation we did, he is able, just possibly not willing :LOL:
I may have to get a plumber in, if of course it can be done?! Or just pester my suffering husband until he does it ;)

Washing machine will go where the tumble dryer is in last picture.

View media item 37134

If you don't mind a flexible waste pipe (possibly an extention - hard to judge actual lengths) run across the back door, then you'll probably be able to connect it to the trap under the sink with one of these, assuming that the right hand end on the top shelf is currently a blank.

Sponsored Links
I think you're onto a loser here! How are you proposing to get a mains water pipe and a drain hose from the kitchen sink cupboard to the cupboard on the right (middle picture). It would have to be protected somehow which would mean running it under some sort of platform. The distance from the new destination (to the right of the cooker) back to the sink trap is about 4-5 metres. That's a long way for a washing machine to pump it, as gravity will be no help. What's the other side of the red wall on the far right. If it was a bathroom and you could run pipes through that wall that might be the only solution.

Yes your beginning to sound like my husband hehe.. So he wasnt making excuses, he said it would be too far to pump waste, its about 4 metres... I was just going to maybe get some kind of threshold cover, plinth/beading to cover pipes, box them in or something. As for the wall, on the other side is just an empty small room which we keep our fridge freezer and other bits in.. ridiculous kitchen design, it should of all been knocked into one... but thats my tight landlord for you..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back