washing machine pipe extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am trying to understand my options for this kitchen in a flat that I a considering to buy. Given the small space available, I'd want to move the washing machine from its current position to under the boiler and install a slim dishwasher next to the sink. I don't have pictures of the plumbing under the sink yet, but would like to understand if it would either be possible to extend both the drain and inlet pipes/hoses from the washing machine to the sink or if not have the pipes extended to reach the washing machine. I assume for a pipe extension I would have to get permission from the council first? It's a very small kitchen and I am trying to be creative with the space.

IMG_5360.jpg
IMG_5359.jpg

Sponsored Links
I am not a plumber... extending the waste outlet for the washing machine is pretty trivial.

The water inlet hose, I have no idea if they are available in longer lengths.

I don't see why either would be notifiable works but it looks like you will need to surface mount waste/ supply to where the fridge/freezer is at the moment. If you were to do that , would the dishwasher still fit, and have you got the space to open the door?

I do believe I would have enough space to open it since there are two devices under the boiler right now so the washing machine would be placed further to the left than the fridge currently is and the dishwasher would also be further to the right since I will need less cupboard space. But it is something I have on my list to check for the second viewing when I’ll bring my tape measure. Should have mentioned the entire kitchen would be redone, all of the current fittings would be replaced, so layout would be different from the current setup.

Washing machine pumps arent the most powerful, if you are extending you need to do the lifting near the washing machine then let gravity do the distance to the drain.
Have a look under the sink next time you're there, see where the waste pipe goes and critically how high it is- you might end up having a bit of pipe running across that window at waist height

Sponsored Links
Washing machine pumps arent the most powerful, if you are extending you need to do the lifting near the washing machine then let gravity do the distance to the drain.
Have a look under the sink next time you're there, see where the waste pipe goes and critically how high it is- you might end up having a bit of pipe running across that window at waist height

To prevent siphoning, both ends of the hose need to be the highest points.

See https://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/fills-and-drains/

If the OP were to run the pipe at window level it may, it may, or not be the case that the pipe would be higher than where the hose runs into the u-bend spigot, and (potentionally) lead to siphoning.

I can see nothing wrong with running the waste hose at floor level.

I fitted a 2.5m extension to my mum's Meile. It has been fine for about 5 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back