Rules for Dishwasher and Washing Machine locatios

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any rules regarding the siting / locating of Dishwashers and washing machines ?

The reason is that I want to put my washing machine in my downstairs claokroom/utility room (no water supply / waste pipes have yet been installed in there for the washing machine) - can I plumb the washing machine waste pipe into the boxed-in soil stack using a Boss (is it ok to use the soil stack for washing machine ? )

Secondly, I want to put a dishwasher into existing washing machine location in the kitchen. Obviously there is water supply / waste pipe there but it is at least 2.5 m from the trap which is under the sink. Is there any maximum distance for locating the dishwasher from the sink trap ? Can I use the existing washing machine waste pipe and supply pipes for a dishwasher ?

All in all,

1) I want to put my washing machine in the cloaks/utility.
2) I want to put the Dishwasher where the washing machine is in the kitchen.

Any help would be apreciated.

Sponsored Links
As long as there isn't a bath or shower in the utility room OK, Use washing machine trap before bossing into soil stack, you can get a spigot and extra length of waste hose for dishwasher join with cow gum and clips to hold in place until cow gum sets, only need one water supply for dishwasher, instructions will give youy range of pressures temperatures. Usual to use mains cold but always read MI's.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OK I'm on an EAL level 2 course in electrics this week and just today I learned that I am wrong about this. You can have a washing machine in zone 3 if it is connected through a sfcu and protected by a 30ma rcd.

And I bet you guys never knew this, you can have a normal light switch in zone 3. Not that it's a good idea, but it is allowed.

please note 10a which is here

Thanks, Paul. However, re. the dishwasher plumbing, can't I just put the dishwasher waste hose on top of the existing washing machine stand-pipe in the kitchen via a spigot and jubilee clips ?
:confused:
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Paul Barker said:
Just drop it in.

Thanks, Paul. I suspected it would've been as easy as that. :D

The fact that it is about 2.5m from the trap at the sink doesn't present any problems though, does it ?

you should get your cats claws trimmed :LOL:

Sponsored Links
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Haven't you read my novel : 'Tiger in the bed' ?

Anyway, what about my other question re. connecting my dishwasher waste hose to the existing washing machine trap/pipe ? Can I do it as I suggested, with a sprigot and jubilee clip ?

Oh, I forgot to mention that the downstairs toilet/utility room only has a toilet and a washbasin - (this is where I would hope to get the water supply for the washing machine piped from).
Does this mean that this roon is NOT a Zone 3 one ? :confused:

You can extend the exhaust hose , just put an anti-syphon device in it. They're cheap things which the hoses push onto. (B&Q)

Water supply OK as you want from wc room. :)

Nige F said:
Water supply OK as you want from wc room. :)

Finally (I hope),

As my main cold water supply for the house comes into the downstairs toilet, could I possibly take the washing machine feed/supply from that - that is assuming that a washing machine can use a cold supply only instead of Hot and cold ?

:confused: :)

When it's on the whites program it will try to fill from hot only, so you'd need a Y adapter and three washing machine hoses, unless you never use the boil wash.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No restrictions in a room with a toilet and a basin, but if it could be construed as a utility room or there is any likelyhood a socket in there could be used to power portable equipment outside you need a 30ma rcd on the ring main that serves it.

Paul Barker said:
When it's on the whites program it will try to fill from hot only, so you'd need a Y adapter and three washing machine hoses, unless you never use the boil wash.

No restrictions in a room with a toilet and a basin, but if it could be construed as a utility room or there is any likelyhood a socket in there could be used to power portable equipment outside you need a 30ma rcd on the ring main that serves it.

Like one of these ?

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=100332&ts=98363&id=57865

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Paul Barker said:

So, in fact I CAN use the cold supply pipe only and use the 3 hoses ? If so, this will make life much easier . :D

claudeballs, i have asked you TWICE to use the edit button,

Sorry, Mod. I wasn't paying attention. :oops:

thank you

It would be better to buy an rcbo (an mcb with an rcd built in) to replace your mcb (a resetable over current protection device with faster protection response than a fuse) on that particular circuit. If you have a CU with cartridge fuses you can change them all for mcb's but not just one. If you have an old Wilex CU you probably can't but I'm not sure. An electrician could sort you out with what you need.

"So, in fact I CAN use the cold supply pipe only and use the 3 hoses ? If so, this will make life much easier "

Yes, and life is even easier if you don't use a program above 60 degrees because usually they fill with hot and cold from 60 degrees down. It doesn't matter if the hot isn't connected the machine will fill from cold, stop when the pressure switch is activated (fill to correct level regardless of presence of a hot connection) then sit and wait untiol internal element has heated water to correct temperature.

Who uses boile wash anyway?

Thanks for all your help / advice lads. All now plumbed in in their respective new locations and all working ok.

Many thanks.

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back