Dishwasher misbehaving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have had my dishwasher for 16 years and it has been brilliant. It is a DIPLOMAT semi integrated. About a year or so ago it suddenly stopped working and because of it's age I decided to order a new one. As we removed it to make way for the new one I switched it on and lo and behold it started working again. I cancelled the order and we put the machine back in place where it functioned perfectly for a year.
About four months ago it stopped again after the first cycle and we just left it and washed up by hand :eek: Then two months ago hubby just switched it on and it started again and it has been working perfectly. It has now stopped again after the first cycle and I am wondering if there is an air lock or something. It is displaying "in progress" so the electrics seem to be working ok.
I regularly run it with dishwasher cleaner so I don't think it is clogged and the water has drained from it.
I know it's about time I bought a new one but I'm hoping that someone can throw some light on what is causing the problem. I've had it so long it's now part of the family:D

Sponsored Links
Could be many things, and as it's an intermittent fault locating it will be time consuming and tedious.
Damaged wiring in the door is a likely possibility, as it is flexed every time the door is opened/closed.

Ultimately it's long past the time for a new dishwasher - it was a cheapo low quality thing when supplied with the MFI kitchen and it's a miracle it has lasted this long.

Thanks for your reply....You are right, it was supplied with an MFI kitchen , which incidentally still looks like new. But as for "cheapo", I hope I can get another dishwasher as good as it. It's been in daily use for almost all of the 16 years and dishes are boiling when cycle has finished. My son has had four dishwashers since I had mine so I guess they don't make 'em like they used to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back