Dishwasher triping main switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All and Merry Christmas.

My electricity tripped out at about 3 AM this morning and would not reset. I switched off the individual circuits which allowed me to reset the main switch. Switching on the circuits one by one revealed it was the socket ring main causing the problem. I unplugged everything until I isolated the problem socket which had the dishwasher plugged in (Ariston AS150). I've tried plugging other things into this socket and they're fine so it's definately the dishwasher. It's been alright for 3 or 4 years and was part way though it's normal cycle when it went.

Should I just replace it or does anyone have any ideas what's causing it?

Also, why is it not blowing the fuse in the plug (13A) rather than tripping the main switch?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
There is an earth leakage fault on your machine, that is why it's tripping the ELCB back at the board. The fuse doesn't blow because the elcb detects the fault long before a fuse has time to blow. You need to find out which component in the machine is tracking to earth, the most common is the heater or the pump. You need someone who is competent with a multi meter. :LOL:

Thanks for your reply Racket,

I'll get someone in to look at it.

Sponsored Links
Hello,

It was sorted a while ago. In case any one has the same problem the problem was:

The outlet was blocked, the water flowed into the overflow. That should have been OK but... unfortunately the manufacturer saved a bit of space by putting the pump motor in the overflow tray and so when it filled with water it shorted it out.

By the time the bloke came round the water had evaperated and all is now OK. So if you have the same problem either empty the overflow tray (right at the bottom obviously) of leave it a week for it all to magikally fix itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back