Disinfecting hot water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

First post here but have been reading for a while.

I would like to sterilise my hot water tank. It is the open sort with a loose lid, has 2 electric heating elements and 2 connected chambers and supplies hot water for bathroom and kitchen.

The reason I would like to do this is I looked in it recently and it looked quite dirty. Now I brush my teeth in the shower and use the shower water to rinse my mouth so I am frequently swallowing a little of this water.

I did think of pouring some baby utensils sterilising fluid in (weak sodium hypochlorite) but the web said this chemical is not safe in contact with copper which I presume the tank is, so I didn't do it. There must be something I can pour in then flush out by running the hot water taps for say 20 minutes.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The dirt was probably just limescale. Make sure the stat is set to between 60 and 65 degrees. This will make sure that any harmful bacteria is killed off.

Any lower than this can encourage bacteria and legionella growth. Much higher and it will be a scalding risk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back