Draining and cleaning fresh water supply tank -

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've decided to clean out my fresh water supply tank in my attic, after reading horror stories about bacteria and legionella etc.

Intend to drain it using a pump or syphon, then clean the inside with a sponge and brush etc, and continue with this until its spotless.

I'd like some advice on disinfection please. Any suggestions on best product?

Looks like chlorine is the main recommended way to go, which is the same as non-perfumed bleach, Its just weaker.

"The chemical in bleach is the same chemical found in liquid chlorine sold by you local pool store or hardware store. Bleach is just weaker by volume than liquid chlorine. Typically liquid chlorine is 10-12% Sodium Hypochlorite where bleach is about 5-6% Sodium Hypochlorite".

I also found this:

https://www.hunker.com/12002105/how-to-clean-a-water-storage-tank

http://www.cleanwaterstore.com/reso...rine-to-add-to-storage-tank-to-kill-bacteria/

Any views or advice? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it a modern plastic tank, with a close-fitting plastic lid?

Is there much drowned wildlife in it?

Does it have an insulating jacket?

Does your loft get hot on sunny days?

I see your links are American. Are you American or in America?

Are your cold-water taps fed from the loft tank, or from the watermain?

What temperature do you keep your hot-water cylinder?

Last edited:
Is it a modern plastic tank, with a close-fitting plastic lid? Yes its plastic with a decent lid.

Is there much drowned wildlife in it? Just insects etc. Nothing dramatic

Does it have an insulating jacket? Yes

Does your loft get hot on sunny days? Yes, very hot

I see your links are American. Are you American or in America?
No I'm in the UK, i just happened to find the US links

Thanks

Is the bath cold tap fed from the tank, or the watermain?

If the tank, it is an easier way to empty it, provided there is no large debris or bits of insulation that might cause a blockage. Don't use hot taps during cleaning or you will get chemicals and dirt flowing into your hot cylinder.

I've found a clean, new, soft nylon sweeping brush handy for scubbing the inside of a tank.

Your hot water cylinder will pasteurise the water from the hot taps. Higher temperatures kill Legionella faster, but it does not grow above 45C.

Sponsored Links
Is the bath cold tap fed from the tank, or the watermain?

If the tank, it is an easier way to empty it, provided there is no large debris or bits of insulation that might cause a blockage. Don't use hot taps during cleaning or you will get chemicals and dirt flowing into your hot cylinder.

I've found a clean, new, soft nylon sweeping brush handy for scubbing the inside of a tank.

Your hot water cylinder will pasteurise the water from the hot taps. Higher temperatures kill Legionella faster, but it does not grow above 45C.

Yes, the CW supply to the bath is from the tank, in fact all the bathroom taps CW supplies are from the tank, hence I'm keen to clean & disinfect the tank. Good point re using the CW supply to my bath, and avoid using the hot supply pipe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back