Screw hole through inaccessible plastic water pipe!

BHI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per title, a screw has gone through a concealed (tiled over) 15mm plastic Speedfit pipe. The local isolation valve has been turned off, but between the valve and the hole in the pipe there is an inaccessible (again, tiled over) branch that feeds another outlet. Would like to keep using the latter branch outlet - but the one with the hole in the feed pipe isn't so important.

I can't think of any way to permanently repair the pipe without removing the original 600x300 tile (that would surely break with no replacement available).

So is there a way to seal this plastic pipe so that the other branch can still work? ie. is there some sort of chemical sealant "gunk" that can be injected into the pipe through the screw hole that would permanently block and hold in place?

Thoughts please!

From JG Speedfit website:
Chemical Effects
Only water or oil based paints should be used. Do not allow Speedfit fittings to come into contact with jointing compounds, cellulose based paints, paint thinners or strippers, solder flux or acid based descalents or aggressive cleaning products, including those below pH4, high in hypochlorite (e.g. bleach) or containing hydrogen peroxide. (SEE THE DISINFECTION OF HOT AND COLD WATER SYSTEMS section of the installation advice for specifically permitted disinfection procedures). If there is a risk of any chemical treatments coming into contact with Speedfit, please contact the Technical Advisory Service first to check compatibility.​

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
a screw has gone through a concealed (tiled over) 15mm plastic Speedfit pipe.

Love that! Went through all on its own did it? :whistle:

Sorry mate - had to be said.
Unless it's a stud wall that you can get to from the other side then it's tile off and repair I'm afraid. You "may" be lucky and be able to remove the tile in one piece with a lot of care and patience if it's been put on with tub adhesive but that is one long shot!
Try and find a near match for the tile or take a few out and replace with decorative mosaics to try and make it look an integral part of the design.
Good luck.

Indeed, those damn screws with minds of their own...

Found a first fix photo from years ago that suggests the original plumbing plan and reality aren't quite the same! Not a stud wall but cut in to brick/rendered wall.

Tile will not be coming off (at least not in one piece, and they're discontinued stock), so will just have to blank-off at the iso valve instead.

Hey-ho. Thanks for the reply.

You can seal it with epoxy resin if you can turn off the water going through it and get to the surface of the pipe enough to apply it to the outside. I personally would not want this in my house though, I'd want it ripped out and a replacement pipe put in.

Sponsored Links
I'm resigned to the fact that it's non-repairable as a pipe.

No water in the pipe at the moment, so interested in using the epoxy resin to "block-up" the pipe so that it no longer flows but the branch pipe still can... I guess the concern is whether the epoxy will hold inside the pipe and not corrode the plastic from the inside over time? I assume that most resins need mixing, or is there a type I can simply inject through the screw hole into the pipe (ie. with enough viscosity to fill the pipe to the left and right, but not too runny so as not to form a proper blockage/seal)?

Thanks for your help so far.

I assume that most resins need mixing, or is there a type I can simply inject through the screw hole into the pipe (ie. with enough viscosity to fill the pipe to the left and right, but not too runny so as not to form a proper blockage/seal)?

I'm not sure about its effectiveness in sealing the pipe, but I'm sure that freshly mixed Araldite can be injected using a syringe (not a needle as that would be just too fine I think), as it is still quite fluid when just mixed.

I'd say that the syringe would be unusable afterwards, though!

A epoxy resin plug ( assuming you could get it into the pipe ) would be unlikely to bond to the plastic pipe. If the pipe ever came under pressure then the pipe internal diameter might expand by a very small amount but the plug would remain the same size. Leakage past the plug would be a possibility.

Remove the tile, repair the pipe properly and disguise the hole. Hang a picture over the hole. ( mind where you drill the hole for the picture hook ).

Don't bodge the repair because it will come back to haunt you when you least expect it.

Put a bigger screw in the hole. That will block it. Or use a nail.....​

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back