disk fragmenter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when i try to defrag my hard drive...i get a error message from microsoft saying that it as encountered a problem and needs to close...send error or dont send...at first i was sending the error to microsoft and i was redirected to a page telling me how to fix the problem,for which i had to go into "run" type some letters which i forget now,but anyway it never fixed it....and now if i leave my computer without doing any work on it for say ten minutes,i get the error message again....but now i just click dont send..what do i need to do to correct this ..

add to say error reads: DISK FRAGMENTER AS ENCOUTERED A PROBLEM NTFS MODULE

Sponsored Links
OK.

In the bottom right hand side of your computer you have all your start up icons (it may have an arrow blocking some of them), right click on as many as possible and close them down (make sure you are not on the internet).

Once you have closed down as many as possible (hopefully all of them), you then need to try and defragment your PC again.

if it defrags ok, restart your computer to take it back to normal.

please report back if this doesn't work and explain what problems you had.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried defragging in Safe-Mode?

When your computer is booting, repeatedly tap the F8 key until you get a system menu. Select 'Safe Mode' and let the PC boot.

Once into Windows, try and run the defrag utility. If it still fails, post back. Also, are you running Service Pack 2 with your Windows XP installation?

Expertboy said:
OK.

In the bottom right hand side of your computer you have all your start up icons (it may have an arrow blocking some of them), right click on as many as possible and close them down (make sure you are not on the internet).

Once you have closed down as many as possible (hopefully all of them), you then need to try and defragment your PC again.

if it defrags ok, restart your computer to take it back to normal.

please report back if this doesn't work and explain what problems you had.

nope..shut down as many as i could..tried to defrag again,got the same error message again and when you try to shut down that task,it just's freezes for a couple of minutes before letting you carry on... :rolleyes:

DoctorButcher said:
Have you tried defragging in Safe-Mode?

When your computer is booting, repeatedly tap the F8 key until you get a system menu. Select 'Safe Mode' and let the PC boot.

Once into Windows, try and run the defrag utility. If it still fails, post back. Also, are you running Service Pack 2 with your Windows XP installation?

tried the safe mode,Windows came on with these enormous graphics & icons...anyway still tried to defrag....no joy.

service pack 2 installed.

There are two kinds of defragmentation. There is logical fragmentation, which is how the file system “sees” the disk, and there is physical fragmentation, which is how the file actually resides on the disk itself, try the below:

Double-click My Computer
Right-click a hard drive (C drive, for example)
Select Properties from the Pop Up Menu
Go to the Tools Tab
Click on the Check Now button
Choose Automatically Fix File System Errors

Then do another defrag.

If all this fails you may have a spyware problem, it's also highly possible that you have someting running in the background thats causing your problem, download a free spyware programe and scan your pc there are loads of freebies about.

Hi,

Most causes have been pointed out above with regard to programs running in the background, AntiVirus\Firewall software is normally the cause in my experience.

Check for Spyware by downloading AdAware Personal and run a full system scan to remove any.

Visit update.microsoft.com and make sure that you have all the latest patches applied.

It would also be worth running sfc.exe which is the system file checker shipped with Windows.

The main reason for using this utility is when you suspect there may be a problem with a Windows XP system file.

Perhaps you get a dialog box appear informing you of a problem with a .dll file, or your program will just not load! It is therefore worth checking to see if there are any corrupt system files using scannow sfc.

To do this simply go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

Also make sure that the user you are trying to run disk defragmenter as has "Administrator" priveledge.

Hope the above helps.

Jon.

JonD said:
Hi,

Most causes have been pointed out above with regard to programs running in the background, AntiVirus\Firewall software is normally the cause in my experience.

Check for Spyware by downloading AdAware Personal and run a full system scan to remove any.

Visit update.microsoft.com and make sure that you have all the latest patches applied.

It would also be worth running sfc.exe which is the system file checker shipped with Windows.

The main reason for using this utility is when you suspect there may be a problem with a Windows XP system file.

Perhaps you get a dialog box appear informing you of a problem with a .dll file, or your program will just not load! It is therefore worth checking to see if there are any corrupt system files using scannow sfc.

To do this simply go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

Also make sure that the user you are trying to run disk defragmenter as has "Administrator" priveledge.

Hope the above helps.

Jon.
sorry for so late getting back to you all ...i'de like to thank everybody in solving the problem ..there was a problem with things running in the background..i did the adaware and it found Kazzar and gator ...did the sfc /scannow which with other prompts seemed to sort the defragging problem, and i'me not getting anymore errors popping up..

regards.... :D .

Sponsored Links
Back