Disposal of old oil tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Not sure if this is the correct place to post but looking for some advice please.
I have an eyesore being an old heating oil tank sitting at the bottom of my garden. It's empty and judging by the rust and moss on it, hasn't been used for a very long time. It was installed about 30 years ago when the house was built. The previous owners then built a garage, blocking the access :confused: There is no other access due to the location of the adjoining properties. Does anyone have any suggestions (apart from knocking the garage wall out) on dismantling it safely so it can be removed?

Another 10 years and it may well be rusted away completely!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
These are great for disposing of tanks
bazooka.jpg

:oops: Sorry - couldn't resist :oops:

Faced with similar many years ago, I hired an electric nibbler and cut the tank up into more or less it's component pieces.

IIRC, according to the hire shop, the nibbler was capable of cutting 3mm sheet metal including steel, but it wasn't quite the same when I had finished with it. Turns out it was only meant for 3mm aluminium or 14 SWG steel. I got away with it on returning it, because I had specifically asked them for something capable of cutting 11 SWG steel.

I chose a nibbler as it generates little heat and no sparks. The long redundant tank had been full of water water for some time before I cut it up.

As i say, it was many years ago. These days, H&S and environmental people would probably have kittens if they heard of anyone trying that now!

Thanks,

Our local hire shop didn't list an M20, but that would certainly do the trick :D

[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back