Disposing of Plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just re-reading Wednesdays local paper & noticed a Council add under the heading “Important Information”; this states that due to a “change in legislation”, Gypsum Plasterboard can no longer be disposed of in landfill sites so I will no longer be able to dispose of it at my local recycling centre on my twice monthly visits; there are now only 2 sites listed for the whole of Suffolk where you can take – ---2 bags/day. :rolleyes:

Not that I get that much waste but now what! There is a phone number so presumably you will have to pay to get rid of it? Anyone else know this little gem was comming from Brussels? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Hi Richard

Theres loads going on about this at the mo ,from last week you can no longer dump plaster-plasterboard in tips-skips ect some skip companys do still take it but add an extra £25 apparantly gives of gasses or something . I have just had to buy a waste licence aswell to carry waste in my van £156 a year there is a £2000 fine if caught and has been stops all over the country. I can give anyone details if wish.

Hope this helps!!!!

I look forward to the consequent increase in fly tipping in the lanes around here.

Aren't you proud of the good sense of our legislators?

Just re-reading Wednesdays local paper & noticed a Council add under the heading “Important Information”; this states that due to a “change in legislation”, Gypsum Plasterboard can no longer be disposed of in landfill sites so I will no longer be able to dispose of it at my local recycling centre on my twice monthly visits; there are now only 2 sites listed for the whole of Suffolk where you can take – ---2 bags/day. :rolleyes:

Not that I get that much waste but now what! There is a phone number so presumably you will have to pay to get rid of it? Anyone else know this little gem was comming from Brussels? :rolleyes:

Chop it up and put it into sealed bags so they cant see what it is. Sorted

Nick

Sponsored Links
most of the skips we use now are taken to recycling plants where they are emptied and sorted into different components to be either recycled or sent to landfill.
hiding illicit material within the bowels of the skips is quickly discovered and is traceable back to the hirer. :confused:
this method is becoming more common due to the exorberant land fill charges and is more cost effective for the waste disposal contractor to pay for sorting as opposed to simply taking straight to landfill.
a general waste skip in the central belt is now averaging £175.00, fly tipping carries a £5000 fine and/or 6months in prison. (the last time i looked).
fly tipping

Yep, got shafted with this on saturday.
I was merrily emptying my car boot of all sorts when the fella comes flying over and says "whoa mate, you can't put plasterboard in there!"
me: "Well i did last week and no one said owt!"
Him: "aah, the law changed on April 1st. You have to go to the other site now with a dedicated skip, 5 miles away."

This site was 8 miles from my house, then i find i have to travel another 5 miles to dump it properly.

nick13, i will take your advice from now on mate. ;)

My council tax pays for this? :rolleyes:

Does this apply to Scotland as well?

When I read this a few weeks back I was concerned I might have more hassle disposing of the plasterboards from the partition wall I just pulled down.

I asked at the recyling centre and the guy there didn't know (or care!) and said just chuck it in. (which I did!)

Free university grants, free prescriptions, interest free loans for elderly relatives in care until you sell their house & they can nick the cash +, no doubt, a few more I can't think of; & now free plasterboard dumping :rolleyes: ! The Welsh are at it as well, I think I’ll start a “devolution for East Anglia” campaign! :LOL:

After I read the original post, I rang our local tip and they said it was still acccepted, but I needed to phone on the day as they only had a limited facility and may not have room!
No mention of an individual restriction tho.

I've not been since, so interested to see the size of this new facility when I next go!

I got two centres near to me, both of which have plasterboard bins for people to recycle it, ones newly arrived. must just be down to the councils.....

yup, got bit with this too recently, 1st of april actually, rolled up to local tip to dump a few offcuts only to be told about new legislation, sent to another tip only to be turned away there and no advice on what to do next!

Called council who said i'd have to find a skip company to take it from now on, have done since, now get 1 cu. yd sack for £50 so save up the scrap and fill it up as i go, add the cost onto quotes now, no problem really, if anything it's more convenient as long you have the space to store it until you have a sackful.

Whole thing is ludicrous though! we should be making it easier to dispose of waste ESPECIALLY if it's waste that is deemed 'bad'

Whole thing is ludicrous though! we should be making it easier to dispose of waste ESPECIALLY if it's waste that is deemed 'bad'

Couldn't agree more. If it's a hazard - then the council should be FORCED to dispose of it safely. It only gets fly tipped otherwise.

I like the system in urban Spain where we spend around 6 weeks every year. The urbanisation where we stay has a designated lay-by (I assume this is standard) where you can literally dump whatever you want in separate piles; I’ve seen a whole concrete balcony balustrade stacked up there! They come & collect it once a week or sooner if the lay-by is full but it also serves as a recycling centre as any usable stuff that is there in the morning is usually gone by mid-day so it can be self moderating to an extent! We also have a DAILY household refuse collection, admittedly to a communal bin but you only have to walk 100 yards or so.

All this & much more including all the usual community provisions for around a £350/year community charge; knocks my council tax bill here into a very cocked hat :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back