Dissasembly & Relocation Of Phone Socket - Crimping Tool

Sheds,

I have the same reason for the socket relocation as I am having double glazing fitted in a few weeks and the cable comes through the old frame that will be removed.

Do you think the cutting and rejoining via choc-block is safer for connectivity than removing the wiring and reinserting it with the Krone tool? Also, is any old bit of choc block OK or are there tiny versions available for telephony, its not something I have ever looked into?

The drill throught the window frame was actually done by the BT engineer when he installed the socket, perhaps they are told not to drill through walls if it can be avoided.

Rgds
Jack

Sponsored Links
Do you think the cutting and rejoining via choc-block is safer for connectivity than removing the wiring and reinserting it with the Krone tool?

First thing. It will be clearly obvious that the BT owned cable has been tampered with if you use any type of terminal block.

Also, is any old bit of choc block OK

NO. The reason is that for telephone circuit the joints must be "low noise". When two dissimilar metals touch they create a very small electrical voltage, one or two millivolts. In a power circuit this voltage is insignificant. In a telephone circuit it is enough to be heard as noise on the phone line. Any dampness or oxidation of the metals can increase the noise voltage.

or are there tiny versions available for telephony, its not something I have ever looked into?

Yes there are but intended for fitting in equipment and not for joining cables.

The punch down ( IDC , Insulation Displacement Connectors ) joints create what is almost a cold compression weld between the wire and the metal of the connector. This type of joint is far less noisy than a joint that relies on compression without weld. The actual joint is "gas tight" as being a weld oxygen or other aggressive gas cannot get between the metals to increase the noise voltage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back