distance between joists for floor tiles regs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there everyone.

can anyone tell me, and possibly point me to website where its written ...

the up to date building regs regarding maximum distance between joists for laying floor tiles.

my mum bought some grout from b and q , after replacing the flooring, applying pva and laying the tiles and grouting, the grout began to crack. she looked at the tub of grout and it was 2 years out of date.

she started a complaints process and a assessor came out and claimed that building regs now state that the distance between joists for floor tiles must be less than 300mm, and this is why the grout is cracking.

all the builders she has spoken to claim to know nothing about this new reg and have told her 400mm is the miniumum, which is what she has.

it would be nice to have the up to date regs in black and white so she can go forward with this claim.

many thanks for you help in advance, matt

Sponsored Links
As HERTSDRAINAGE2010 questions.

But really she's being fobbed off. End of story. Just move on and re-do it with grout from a good supplier.

no, not ply, (sorry i'm not a builder), but those chipboard flooring boards that the edges lock together. (bit vague i know) about 20mm thick i guess.

very easy to say move on and re-do it mate. but she aint got a lot of money and b and q shouldnt have put 2 year out of date grout on their shelves. they admit it does deteriorate over time, but like you say, seems she is being fobbed off.

if anyone has the up to date building regs and 400mm between joists is ok , then she has good grounds to claim.

i have searched for the regs and come up fruitless.

Sponsored Links
no, not ply, (sorry i'm not a builder), but those chipboard flooring boards that the edges lock together. (bit vague i know) about 20mm thick i guess.

very easy to say move on and re-do it mate. but she aint got a lot of money and b and q shouldnt have put 2 year out of date grout on their shelves. they admit it does deteriorate over time, but like you say, seems she is being fobbed off.

if anyone has the up to date building regs and 400mm between joists is ok , then she has good grounds to claim.

Tiles need to be laid on ply that is screwed to the joists or over the original floorboards. Not chipboard. Otherwise there is risk of movement, causing problems like those you describe.

Cheers
Richard

Chipboard is the chief suspect then I'm afraid. Sorry. The reg you are searching for does not exist. the joist spacings for a floor are determined by the size of the joists, the grade of the timber, the loadings imposed on the floor and the span. And I'm not your mate btw.

The grout is cracking because the tiles have been laid on chipboard, which is not rigid enough. It's unlikely to be the fault of the grout. The only way to stop this happening is to re-do the job properly, using 18mm plywood.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back