Distance from junction for dropped kerb-reference point?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to convert part of my front garden into off street parking and convert some existing off street parking back into garden. This would involve a new dropped kerb.

We're the first house in a cul de sac, and the new dropped kerb would be closer to a junction than the existing dropped kerb. However, the junction between our road and the main road is a roundabout. Does anyone know what part of the junction counts as the boundary so that i can see if where i'd like to drop the kerb falls within 10m of the junction?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The 10m is normally measured from the edge of the highway, i.e. road. Attached is basic diagram that illustrates this.

Attachments

• 77D7F8F6-E48D-457B-9ACE-3215638B8FA0.png
    77D7F8F6-E48D-457B-9ACE-3215638B8FA0.png
    21 KB · Views: 655
Thank you for your reply.

Its a bit more complicated for the junction to my road.

full

I've marked the image with two blue lines showing roughly where the dropped kerb should be. But should the measurement be taken from point a, point b or somewhere else?

In my opinion, it looks like the part shown in light blue is what should be at least 10m. You take the back edge of the curb, which is the edge of the road and offset that by 10m.

Attachments

• Map.png
    Map.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 506
Sponsored Links
That's interesting and your help is very much appreciated.

Is your opinion formed by specific knowledge and experience in planning? I'm guessing from your user name that you are an Architect or similar?

I am not an architect. It is just how I would interpret the guidance.

@Lower Did you get an answer to this?

I'm in the same situation as you. Not sure if the roundabout road markings is considered or the physical edge of the junction...

I spoke with planning and they confirmed it would be point a in my picture above, ie the closest section of kerb.

It makes my plans marginal, so i've not progressed it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back