distance of flue form soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was looking for regs for taking a flue out through a wall between two soil pipes 40mm from each and 25mm from the soil downpipe but terminating some 1m+ further away.

Approved Document J (Combustion appliances and fuel storage systems)
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/468872/ADJ_LOCKED.pdf

talks about "minimum seperation distances for terminals"

Does this mean the end of the flue or is their also a reg about the distance of the flue pipe from horizontal and/or vertical [exterior] soil pipes [at a point 1m+ away from the end of the flue pipe].

New system. In planning stage.

Sponsored Links
If you mean who, the answer is someone with a gasafe reg [not me]. He says clearance must be 75mm at any point along the piperun.
The regs I linked seem to say thats from the end not the pipe but the regs seem to be unclear/I am not sure hence the post here.

Sorry, I am one of those bad customers that checks stuff.

It is generally construed to be the smallest distance between the outer of the flue and nearby plumbing pipes.

The flue is not meant to protrude any further than necessary and certainly not in order to try to avoid manufacturer's requirements.

But as asked before why are you not asking your installer?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony, I assume by outer you mean the place where the steam exits.
I want it to go at least 1m away from the outside wall to avoid the steam going straight up to the bedroom window of the flat above.
There is not an issue with manufacturers requirements, we need a bigger flue anyway as it runs 5m inside the house before exiting and the bigger size allows 11m.

As I understood the installer [at the moment he is at making a quote stage for this second job] the distance from drains rule was building regs.
We can move the existing soil pipes if we have to but I'd prefer not.

My impression so far is actually the building regs allow me to pass some pipes with a much smaller clearance provided the end of the flue is at least 75mm clear of all soil pipes.
Still not sure though.

No.

The flue contains two tubes.

An inner and an outer.

The flue should not project any further than necessary from the building.

But why not ask your installer all these questions?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back