ditch at bottom gardn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ditch at bottom garden, (approx 20m long 1/2 metre wide and deep, there is a little water 2 or 3 inches in winter, it seems to be fed partly from the ditch extended up to next doors garden and some seeping along ditch. I wanted to fill ditch and grass over (easier to maintain) Can i fill ditch with gravel and then top soil and grass? Ive heard of french drains and soakaways. Any advice appreciated.
jon

Sponsored Links
You need to sort out why there is a ditch there, are there ground water problems, i.e. cess pit, soak aways etc

thanks. it appears there are some small springs that drain into it, i can only find one on my side,it is the smallest dribble and even after substantial rain it never gets more than a couple of inches. It appears that the ditch does not drain as it seems blocked beyond my property. I would leave but right against my fence so a real pain to keep clear from weeds etc. so would really like to grass right over to fence and just mow. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
It’s probably home to lovely frogs and things. Leave it alone.

You could put a pipe in, the problem then is you can't see what's going on, and it will eventually silt up.

Post up some photos for suggestions, maybe you could make a feature out of it, or plant something in front.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back