1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

ditch at bottom gardn

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by jonnyp1, 3 Sep 2018.

1. jonnyp1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have a ditch at bottom garden, (approx 20m long 1/2 metre wide and deep, there is a little water 2 or 3 inches in winter, it seems to be fed partly from the ditch extended up to next doors garden and some seeping along ditch. I wanted to fill ditch and grass over (easier to maintain) Can i fill ditch with gravel and then top soil and grass? Ive heard of french drains and soakaways. Any advice appreciated.
    jon

2. endecotp

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You want a bog instead of a ditch?

3. Bosswhite

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You need to sort out why there is a ditch there, are there ground water problems, i.e. cess pit, soak aways etc

4. jonnyp1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    thanks. it appears there are some small springs that drain into it, i can only find one on my side,it is the smallest dribble and even after substantial rain it never gets more than a couple of inches. It appears that the ditch does not drain as it seems blocked beyond my property. I would leave but right against my fence so a real pain to keep clear from weeds etc. so would really like to grass right over to fence and just mow. Any suggestions?

5. endecotp

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It’s probably home to lovely frogs and things. Leave it alone.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. scbk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You could put a pipe in, the problem then is you can't see what's going on, and it will eventually silt up.

Post up some photos for suggestions, maybe you could make a feature out of it, or plant something in front.