Diversity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings

Can anyone please clarify summit for me. I am looking at the possibility of running an electric hob and oven off one 32A supply. When applying diversity I assume I add 20 amps first off as opposed to 10? I have a nasty feeling that its going to need another supply. Thanks

Sponsored Links
find the total load, take 10A off, find 30% of the rest,
the load corrected for diversity is 10A + the 30% (+ 5A fs there is a socket on the CCU)

I don't see any reason it should be 20A instead of 10A, just treat it as one appliance as you would if it was joined together.

It should be noted that the deversity guidelines for cookers are very optimistic, and it is questionable whether it is good practice to apply diversity to cookers at all

Seperate pieces of fixed equipment should have their own supply,in theory at least, but so long as each piece has it's own independant local isolator and the supply can handle the expected load then it's not a big problem in domestic installs.

Regarding diversity, I would not apply this to any form of cooking equipment as it is likely that it will be used at full potential load at some point, if not more regularly than you realise.

I stress this is my personal opinion, and whilst I am an electrical engineer, I do not work in the contracting field and have nothing to do with installation work, however I would recommend you assume the oven/hob will use 80% of potential load as a rule and gauge the supply accordingly.

Adam

thanks for reply - wasn't sure if I could take it as one load or 10 amps per appliance. In light of your post I reckon I will just run another 6mm supply to the kitchen. I can see what you mean about good practise applying diversity to appliances. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Doyle

Just seen your post - thanks. again it makes sense to assume it will use full load. Just hoping there was a small chance I could sneak it - safely. Never mind. Bring out the trunking...

69er said:
Doyle

Just seen your post - thanks. again it makes sense to assume it will use full load. Just hoping there was a small chance I could sneak it - safely. Never mind. Bring out the trunking...

Sorry if I disapointed you (I keep having to say that to the wife too.. :confused: )..

Seriosly, no floorboards??

Unfort the c unit is below stairs by the front door. The kitchen is on the second floor (weird) and client has wall papered walls. Cant go outside the front door and up in conduit because the top level sits back from the bottom level. So will run in trunking below the coving above main door into garage then through the ceiling into the kitchen.

As I tell my misses - she should be grateful it wasn't even shorter (time wise) :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back