Diverter Valve????

19 Sep 2006
Reaction score
United Kingdom
radiators were not heating up. suspected sludge build up. however turned hot tap on and central heating flow pipe got red hot. could this be a diverter valve problem .the boiler is a Baxi 105e. thanks.
Sponsored Links
When you turned hot tap on was the boiler already calling for CH.. Is your boiler an instant 105e or just a standard 105e
standard 105e. switched to hot water only, and boiler was cold. the boiler belongs to a friend and we were dicussing how best to flush the system when I tried turning on the hot tap. iwas sure I'd read that this would indicate a fault on the diverter valve that's why i asked.
from hi-specs reply it sounds as if we only need a part replced and not the whole valve. would this be within the realms of a diyers capability or should two old duffers leave well alone and locate a professinal?
Sponsored Links
If it was a split diaphragm then the boiler would not come on when hot water tap turned on.
As it is coming on and no heat is going to the hot water it suggests either the back part of divertor is jammed in heating position or the water to water heat ex is completely blocked thus forcing water past divertor to heating side
sorry should have said that hot water still heats up, but central heating flow pipe gets hot straight away little or no heat to radiators when central heating is on.
It still suggests its one same 2 faults. I would go for divertor stuck.... edit as heating is struggling to get hot when on it could be seized not letting full flow to rads
is the diverter repairable or does it have to be replaced entirely. is it a diy job or should we call someon in? thanks for the replies so far
One way to test for blocked plate HE is to turn off the heating valve and run hot tap at low flow. It will start to cut on and off if its blocked.

More likely to be diverter letting by. You can buy service kits which i wouldnt advise fitting for a DIYer although i dont know your capabilities.

A complete diverter change would be easier but the part is more ££
thanks for all the replies. a property opposite my mates is being done up at the moment and plumbing and heating guy has his sign in the window. my mate is going to try and have a word with him tomorrow. thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links