DIY Cellar Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking to DIY my Cellar to convert from a wasted room to a cinema room.
The Cellar has no water issues,slight smell of damp and does get a fluff on the brick floor from time to time,

will go down the membrane route, just wanted to know how you do the celling of the cellar as its wooden beams also how do to tackle the stairs down to the cellar??

whats the best type of membrane also as I can see you can get from main suppliers or ebay etc

Sponsored Links
Are you doing this yourself ? Have you got much experience in damp proofing and basements ?

Are you doing this yourself ? Have you got much experience in damp proofing and basements ?

Never done anything regarding basements before, but as it's dry with no water issues didn't think it would be to hard to do myself. if im wrong please say, as this is why I went on here for advise.

i have found a diy membrane site who will advise the whole way through the process, so thought this was a good route.

My neighbours had theirs done, and IMO by a bunch of right cowboys.

However, what they did was to line it and place a wooden raft on sith stud walls, then floor & plasterboard it.

No insulation outside the plasterboard and I see no additional airflow so its gonna get damp and we can hear the kids playing down there.

Sponsored Links
you say its a brick floor which suggests its laid on cinders on original strata if you keep the floor as it is the damp smell will stay. ho0w far do you want to go with convert (budget).damp problems need to be cured at the root not bandaged over. I`d recommend lifting and relaying on moisture resistant vermiculite on membrane to make sure . this material is user friendly bagged very light ideal bedding

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back