Diy chimney relining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I'm considering putting a multi-fuel stove into an existing fireplace opening. It seems that modern stoves are so efficient that not enough heat from them goes up the standard brick flue to create the needed draught, so the chimney will have to be re-lined to get the diameter of the flue down to 6 inches (150mm).

Is using a semi-flexible stainless steel liner a diy job? I've been quoted about £600 to have it done which is more than the cost of the stove I have in mind.

Could it be done from roof ladders?

Sponsored Links
I put my own liner and fittings etc in myself and all for 200 quid. I used 6inch (8 maybe 9 mitres) of twin lined from a supplier in Manchester. Don`t know if I can say who the company is but if anybody replies sayin that it is then i`ll stick their name and address on.

Hi Ashl,

Thanks for replying. I've found several bits on the Web on how to install the liner but can't figure out how to put in the top support bracket. This is the one that holds the liner centrally in the top of the chimney stack.

From the info supplied, it looks as if I'd have to remove a few bricks so I could use a drill to put wall plugs into the bricks on the inside of the chimney. How did you do it?

I would like to know where you got your supplies from in Manchester! Your two hundred quid is a lot better than the quote I've had....

Best,

Bludger

A closure plate and clamp are what is used at the top of the liner then the chimney pot is placed over these. See here for more info http://www.fluesystems.com/liners/info/chimney_liner_components.htm They have full instructions in the top right hand corner of thepage, labelled knowledge base, which give instructions on how to fit the liners.
Very good site and very helpful people, i use them a lot.

Sponsored Links
Its a place called Flue Stox, if ya google it you`ll be able to get their address,

Hi,

Thanks fellas. You've given me what I need to know.

Have the best of possible Christmas's.

Bludger

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back