DIY Cordless Drill Recommendations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I`m a big DIY'er, built a loft conversion, porch, fitted kitchen and bathroom and now I`ve just sold the house! I`m pretty sure it`ll all start again soon. I love my drill. I`ve had it for years, I have a combo Mikita 8444D and 6347D, two batteries. The 8444D has hammer function and about 16 torque settings - it`ll go through concrete many times before the battery dies. The 6347D stays loaded with a driver and needs charging only after long periods of use.

Sadly, in the house move the 8444D has "gone missing". I say no more other than, I haven`t got it any more but to be honest, the batteries have lost their charge and the 6347D is dying and not as fit for purpose as it was.

I`ve never had a need to buy a drill so I`m not really into whats available and after an hour of searching and reading reviews, I`m none the wiser.

Can anyone recommend a high quality cordless drill with hammer function? - I`m prepared to put some money into it if it is going to last. A twin set would be great or even recommend a quality drill and a cheaper driver so I have the duo of drills I`m use to.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Makita LXT. Good drill and fast to charge. Usually a deal somewhere.

Why not consider a cordless drill/driver and a corded SDS+ drill instead? Most site chippies use SDS drills for masonry as they are way faster. With a chuck they can also be used to drive auger bits for big/deep holes, mortises, etc .

For the record I, too, use Makita LXT 18 volt kit (including the LXT SDS+ drill)

Sponsored Links
Why not consider a cordless drill/driver and a corded SDS+ drill instead? Most site chippies use SDS drills for masonry as they are way faster. With a chuck they can also be used to drive auger bits for big/deep holes, mortises, etc .

Couldn't agree more.

I have a Makita LXT which I love then I bought a Makita SDS for masonry work and now I never bother using the cordless for drilling holes.
Not only is the SDS quicker and powerful but it's more accurate.

What ever cordless drill you go for, watch out for 'special offers' with low battery amps of 1.3Ah. Pay the extra dough and go for one with a 3Ah or even 4Ah Li-ion battery.

What I liked about the Makita is that it charges quickly so you can easily get by with one battery. If it goes flat there's always something productive you can do without a drill in the 20 mins it takes to charge.

Like have a cup of tea for example.

[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back