DIY damp proofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First up, I hope I got this in the right forum. If not, sorry.

I need some advice reguarding damp proofing. Our house is a 1950s ex-authority semi, so a well built red brick affair. It has been damp-proofed with the exception of a 6ft strech of wall where the old oil tank stood. We are in the process of decorating the room that is on the inside of that wall and noticed that it is a little rising damp. Given the small area, I am going to have a go at damp proofing it myself, however, I would like to get some advice first.

1) Which is the best/right product to use?
2) Do I drill into both sides of the wall, given that it is a cavity wall (and has been insulated?
3) Has anyone any tips or pitfalls to avoid?

thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
Get an independent survey and save yourself some money.No such thing as rising damp.

Thanks for that, but what is it if it is not rising damp? is it just damp?

the second of the two, the twistfix, would only be £20, plus a bit of plaster patching on the inside...not really too worried about that over all.

Sponsored Links
Could be many causes, often exterior has a ground level that is too high breaching the damp coarse or a raised surface [decking etc] allowing rain to splash up the wall. Damaged downpipes, leaking/blocked gutter, damaged or leaking service pipes.Sometimes just a pile of household rubbish, junk leaning against the wall.Leaking external tap?Did the oil tank have pipes penetrating the outside wall, if they were not removed and area sealed that could also let water in.
Do you have any pics of external wall both close up and showing entire house?

hi,

I will sort some pictures asap, but I think the issue is the ground level. It was significantly higher when the oil tank was in, but when we removed it a couple of years ago I lowered the ground level by a foot or so. That said, it is still on a level with the floors internally. Fortunalty we have concrete floors, so the joists aren't an issue.
The other significant issue is that our houses are built on a hill, so water runoff and ground water flow are probably not helping.

All that said, it is not a major issue, and the walls under the plaster do not seem wet. only a little damp in isolated places. Given this, and the fact that we have no intention of selling anytime soon, that is why I am looking towards to the DPC DIY option.

You probably have penetrating damp from your description of the site, damp proofing is not going to help if the levels are wrong and water drains towards the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back