DIY Floating Shelves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm considering putting up some floating shelves using brackets something like the picture below, but am wondering about drilling the hole in the timber. To get straight holes I'd normally use my pillar drill, but these will be way beyond the travel available with that. Is it at all practical to drill the holes by eye? And/or do you have any suggestions for how to set up a temporary rig to do it with a handheld drill?

Thanks,
Adam

Heavy-duty-floating-shelf-brackets-strong-floating-shelf-bracket-concealed-shelf-supports-for-solid-walls.jpg

Sponsored Links
If you laminate the shelves from two skins and a centre hollow layer (with just a perimeter in timber) you no only reduce the weight of the shelf, but you side step the need to drill a series of identical long straight holes. This is how most commercially and tradesmen made shelves are produced

Yes, thanks, I've seen that suggestion in other threads here & looks like a good solution, but I definitely want the aesthetics of solid wood.

The video gives me enough inspiration to give it a go, though my biggest challenge is the messy state of my garage - I haven't got any surfaces which come close to being as smooth and true as that guy's!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Solid wood aesthetics? Veneered MDF top and bottom matching timber lipping for the edges

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back