DIY Flush of Boiler with F3 - worked but not for long

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am looking for some advice on my DIY Flush that I carried out and only got partial success from.....

I have a Vokera Eclipse Combi

I rigged up a drill pump using garden hose, and a bowl, and attached to the inlet and outlet pipes of the boiler.

I used Fernox F3 (not DS3) which I got from Screwfix, put it in the bowl, and used hot water from the kettle.

I then pumped this using the drill for nearly 2 hours, replacing the solution 3 times.

The boiler stopped kettling when I started the system back up...... but the next day it was back to kettling again.

Do you think the F3 wasnt tough enough.... Can anyone suggest something else?

Regards,

Sponsored Links
ha, I'm pretty fearless.... but you have me intrigued... is it because its a bit noxious?

Sponsored Links
mmm I see...... having to get someone to resolder joints just under the boiler might not be ideal.

Whats the current thought on push fit leading into the inlet and then coming off the outlet?

I know that its used elsewhere on my system and handles the heat fine

DS40 is citric acid. Its not a very strong acid though.

10% hydrochloric acid is stronger but needs correct handling procedures.

Tony

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

If DS40 is essentially Citric Acid, then could I just get hold of some of that instead? or is that a silly idea?

Hi all,

Well I did this again but used Kilrock Big K from Robert Dyas Store.

Its Formic Acid so is quite caustic, but certainly did a good job.... I think.

I have realised that of course I was descaling the central heating heat exchanger, but probably not the Hot Water heat exchanger.... I am guessing this is what people mean when they talk about Primary & Secondary....

Therefore I need to do it again, but cut 2 other pipes and introduce my home made drill pump kit!!!

NB - after my first attempt with Fernox F3 my heating actually stopped working.... after this attemp with Kilrock it has started warming the radiators again.... strange.....?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back