How long can I leave Fernox 3 in for? (longer the better?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

As i mentioned in another post, i have an issue with sludge in my GCH, running 7 rads and two heated towel rails off an old Puma boiler.

The boiler is on its last legs (c14yrs old), but I cant afford to replace it at the moment, so i want to keep in as good condition as poss.

I also have HomeServe policy on the system, so that'll cover anything barring sludge or replacement.

The water in the system is brown, plus the water / heating diverter in the boiler is sludged up (according to HomeServe), tho it still just about work, just takes time to switch to heating.

I'm planning to flush the system (using the guide on this site), then put some Fernox 3 Superconcentrate in, then flush again.

So,, my questions are:

1. How long can I leave the Fernox 3 in for? Their site says i may need more than 1 tube, but is leaving it in for as long as possible (like a month) better?

2. On the Fernox site, it mentions flushing the F3 out with clean water till the water matches +/- 10% of mains water, using some test meter thing.
Do i need this test meter, where can i get one, or is there another way to confirm the F3's flushed out without buying the test meter I'll only use once.

Perhaps someone knows where I could hire one from in the Huddersfield area?

Again, any help much apreciated gents!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back